Poll on Patricipants

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Please don't reduce this forum to a low level picture book forum assembling threads with 20 posts, starting post with a nice flower picture followed by 20 applause post.
That is interesting for simple minded and limited users only.

You already find a lot of such threads in this forum yet.

A lot of users will appreciate such a forum and will donate, others will delete this forum from their favorite list, which will simplify moderation for You. Its Your decision of course.

Last edited:
Berthold, it’s time to remind you of the forum rules.

Please reread: http://http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18

It’s quite apparent that these polls are regarding the trolling you have been doing here. This is a forum that only survives because of the members, and the regulars know that. Clean it up or go elsewhere please. Consider that your first warning.

This is my observation:
Since Trump occurred at the political arena this forum isn't as interesting as before. Now you see a lot of political exchange of blows that are not honest discussions. Most participants are not interested in the opinion of the others but rather like to show their own political views. Discussions about culture, pests, breeding, taxonomy etc. have nearly disappeared. I miss them. I miss the people who contribute their experience to these themes.

I absolutely would prefer the professional exchange over the political views in this forum.

Now there is none of them. Some will be delighted. There are three (¿or more?) german forums on orchids you can join and rise the quality level.

This is my observation:
Since Trump occurred at the political arena this forum isn't as interesting as before. Now you see a lot of political exchange of blows that are not honest discussions. Most participants are not interested in the opinion of the others but rather like to show their own political views. Discussions about culture, pests, breeding, taxonomy etc. have nearly disappeared. I miss them. I miss the people who contribute their experience to these themes.

I absolutely would prefer the professional exchange over the political views in this forum.

I certainly agree with this. Since the nasty political aspect came about I have put several previously enjoyable members on my ignore list. I just don't want to hear the anger.

I certainly agree with this. Since the nasty political aspect came about I have put several previously enjoyable members on my ignore list. I just don't want to hear the anger.

Agreed. I have not put anyone on ignore- but in hobby forums in general this is what I do not like about having a political forum available. It brings a different conversation into the whole being of a forum, and one that can create divisions. I have had no issues here, but I have terminated long time friendships with fellow wine people over their rantings in the wine forums (people I have also met and tasted with in person.) In all but one case, ending the friendship was more about the approach and lack of openness to discussion than about the actual stance on a given issue.

Incidentally, I started using forums like this in the 90s- during college and back in alt.news days. Over time, I have been surprised to see just how vitriolic political postings can get- and how they damage online friendships and camaraderie in a forum dedicated to a hobby.

So at one point I asked my parents and grandparents- and their view universally was that politics has always been a dangerous topic because so many people will, and in person at dinner parties etc., get very combative. So I do not think we live in unique times on that front. All that has changed is a certain anonymity that allows people to speak even more brazenly without worry of social repercussions.

Also, I have often heard the argument of "If you take away the political forum, then fewer people will post at all." I do not agree with this, nor does it fit with my experience. You may see actual foot and post traffic down a bit, but if a forum is not providing a good home for discussion of the topic for which it was originally formed, the presence or lack of a political discussion page is not- IMHO- going to make a fundamental difference either way.

For the last time (for me) - nobody needs to read this tiny sub-forum.

But alas, you have won. It's so much easier to forbid opinions completely than to find and give a good answer in an conciliate manner.

I assume I am the only one who has noticed that there are many more responses to threads I've begun in this subforum than on any of my orchid - related threads. How does this fit to the claim that no one is interested in opinions in an slipper forum? Obviously most read here, too, though only a few participated. Bye bye liberty.

Oh, c'mon now, Secun. This is no restriction of liberty.

You are still entitled to your opinions. The only thing restricted is your ability to express them here, and as this is a privately-sponsored forum (meant in the broader sense) that we have been graciously invited to participate in, the definition of "appropriate subject" is at the option of the owner, and should be honored by the participants.

Would any one of us walk into a grocery store, stand in the produce section, and expound upon same-sex marriage? Probably not, because it's simply not appropriate, but we're still entitled to our thoughts on the subject.

Taking a bit of a turn from the subject, I think that much of the problem comes from two sources:

> We are much more likely to think of our opinions as "right" or "wrong", rather than merely "different". I don't know how we got here, or how to remedy that, but if we apply the well-established fact that diverse systems are the most successful to our social interactions, I think we'll be much better off.

> The internet and social media have made it easy for each individual to express his or her opinion, and for some reason, that has made many feel they must, apparently without regard to the opinions or feelings of others.

I came here to ask if anyone was missing the political forum. It seems most are okay with us continuing to have it turned off for new posts.

This forum is members based. If the members aren’t interested, I’m inclined to go with that.

I’ll continue to watch this thread for discussion and then maybe do another poll in a week. Thanks for all the constructive discussion everyone!

@Ray:
Well, yes I have. It might be because I AM gay and thus I am directly involved when it comes to discrimination. It wasn't a grocery eventually, but in many other places; and of course I didn't ask for permit previously - I defended myself and my husband's rights right away. If you were black, which I don't know, you would refuse to be offended at a grocery, wouldn't you?

In this forum I was indeed allowed to write and give my opinion on things that seemed important to me and could perhaps be of interest for other users, too. This has changed now, not because I misbehaved (at least nobody told me), but because of other users who wouldn't accept it. That is a crucial difference.

There are many orchids and even slippers I consider ugly - but would I write so everytime someone has finally got them to flower and shows them proudly in a thread? No, of course not. I don't even open that thread (and sometimes, when I did, I was surprised that a godefroyae, in the end, isn't so ugly at all ...).

On 8 march I obviously gave publicly congratulations to women I met and know - as I did here in the forum. Not a problem you could think. Look what happened to that thread. Just one example.

I'd love to write on the democratic backlash happening right now in Spain. It affects - as I believe, democracy at a whole. I feel it's important. I don't think that is an offence to us-american citizens.
But obviously, I am only one. The 'no' has won (though the poll tells another 'truth').
Well, Ray, you began this thread, you must be happy with it. (And yes: I DO chose where I go and where I write and where I stay and where I feel right according to how free I am allowed to be at that place where I am.)

An Heather, I am not going to write on politics here, because this is not the place for it (others have done!) and you had organized a special place for it - on request of the same people who want it closed down now.

Sorry for my clumsy english btw.

@Ray:

Well, yes I have. It might be because I AM gay and thus I am directly involved when it comes to discrimination. It wasn't a grocery eventually, but in many other places; and of course I didn't ask for permit previously - I defended myself and my husband's rights right away. If you were black, which I don't know, you would refuse to be offended at a grocery, wouldn't you?

I am against discrimination of all sorts, but I think you missed my point.

If you were being discriminated against in a grocery store, by all means I support your protest. On the other hand, if that was not the case, and you just decided to bring up same-sex marriage on your own while shopping, then I'd label you a jerk, if not worse.

There is an appropriate forum for everything, but my point was that not every forum is appropriate for everything.

I agree with Wendy and Tom and others.

There is no need for political section. This is a place for orchid lovers to talk about orchids.
Politics will only create negativity and divides people, and we have seen enough of it already.
Why even think of coming here to talk about politics at all?
I just don't understand that mentality in the first place.
This is a slippertalk for a clear reason!
Let's keep it that way.

Poll

I agree with these guys.
If you want to talk politics then go somewhere else.
There is no need for it here.
The other big plant forum that I use is the Scottish rock garden club and that forbids politics and is none the worse for that.
It is a thriving on line plant community with contributors from around the world with many people with a huge amount of knowledge, sound familiar?
David

. the Scottish rock garden club and that forbids politics and is none the worse for that.
Yes, a good idea.
The same to Playmobil forum. All off topics are forbidden except pets.

For the last time (for me) - nobody needs to read this tiny sub-forum.

But alas, you have won. It's so much easier to forbid opinions completely than to find and give a good answer in an conciliate manner.

I assume I am the only one who has noticed that there are many more responses to threads I've begun in this subforum than on any of my orchid - related threads. How does this fit to the claim that no one is interested in opinions in an slipper forum? Obviously most read here, too, though only a few participated. Bye bye liberty.

Secundino...fwiw, you have never been on my ignore list. I find your postings reasonable and open minded. Your orchid/flower photos and contributions are always enjoyable. I’m disappointed that you want to leave and I hope you reconsider.

Oh, c'mon now, Secun. This is no restriction of liberty.

You are still entitled to your opinions. The only thing restricted is your ability to express them here,

That is the strongest restriction of liberty, it is the same situation as in North Korea.

Sorry, but that's a preposterous comparison that can only appear to be the slightest bit valid by taking it out of context, as you did, which is the mark of a poor debater.

Sorry, but that's a preposterous comparison that can only appear to be the slightest bit valid by taking it out of context, as you did, which is the mark of a poor debater.

Ray, You allow all others their own opinion but You don't want them to publish it in a small corner of this forum if their opinions differ from Your own or are not of Your interest.
For everybody You want to forbid any potential and theoretical possibility to have access to this small forum corner.

Sorry Ray, that is a typical attitude of each dictatorial system. And the majority of the users refuse that like You see in the poll result.

I am still training my English but I hope You understand my view on this subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back