• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to SlipperTalk Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

PNG Dendrobiums please!!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chicago Chad

Reaction score
I am looking for PNG Dendrobiums, specifically those in the Oxyglossum section. This would be any close relative of cuthburtsonii, ect. I have a comprehensive list of the ones I am looking for if anyone can help. I can provide an import license if needed.

Thanks for the suggestions. I should have stated that I am familiar with both of them, but I am looking for ones that they do not have.

Aside from the suggestions already made, Golden Gate definitely has nice cuthbertsonii but I don't know about other species. Maybe J&L or Parkside?

For imports, Equatorial Plant Company in the UK specializes in PNG Dens and sometimes exports flasks/seedlings to the US. I think they have a minimum order for export, not sure how much. Someone on Orchidboard organized a group order a couple of years ago; the two or three seedlings I got were very nice before I killed them with inattention.

Not sure if they ship to the US, but Paramount orchids in BC sell many PNG Dendrobium species.
I have purchased many healthy plants from them, and have been quite pleased.

After contacting everyone listed I still do not have any offers of PNGs for sale. Does anyone else have any other suggestions PLEASE?!

To be more specific I'm interested in the Oxyglossum Section of Dendrobiums from the region of PNG and the islands surrounding it.
hellwigianum, cuthburtsonii, sulpherium, violaceum and petiolatum are some for reference. They are typically miniature, cooler to cold growers with bright contrasting flowers that last for few months at a time. I have a handful or so, plus a few cuthburtsonii varieties, but I am trying to gather some more.

Thanh is a great source for lots of Dends, but being in Florida I don't think he has many of those types....I doubt they would last long enough to sell where he is. Best sources with be in the Northeast (J&L, Mountain) or Pacific NW.

PM me a wish list. I have a few and will be going to a nursery next week that may have more. I know I can get a few violaceum, maybe a couple others. I have loads of PNG Lautorias if you are interested in those, species and hybrids...
Fred

To be more specific I'm interested in the Oxyglossum Section of Dendrobiums from the region of PNG and the islands surrounding it.
hellwigianum, cuthburtsonii, sulpherium, violaceum and petiolatum are some for reference. They are typically miniature, cooler to cold growers with bright contrasting flowers that last for few months at a time. I have a handful or so, plus a few cuthburtsonii varieties, but I am trying to gather some more.

Andy's Orchids still has hellwigianum and violaceum listed. Besides all others mentioned, you may also want to try Golden Gate Orchids(listed on Orchid Mall).
Just keep it in mind, some of those Dendrobium (from PNG, especially those from the oxyglossum section) are quite expensive(at least $40+ for a small plant) and the plant size is on the small side normally if they are available on the market.

I am just a hobby grower...here are few PNG Dendrobium species I may/should have available now, BS fresh divisions only:

***(any other members who are interested in them and have a reasonable growing condition for those species, please also send me PM for price and plant size)

prasinum(not from PNG, but belongs to Oxyglossum section, closely related to cuthbertsonii or laevifolium)
cyanocentrum(blue)
cyanocentrum(white)
pentapterum
agathodaemonis(red)
leucocyanum
subuliferum
bulbophylloides
brassii(pink)
dichaeoides(two different forms/growing habit)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back