Pleione ‘Tongariro’ in Bloom

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Florida is difficult to grow Hardy Orchids and I miss my outdoor gardens when in NYS with Cypripediums and other hardy cold tolerant orchids.
This said, I am obsessed with certain orchids so I keep bulbs and rhizomes during my hot hot summers in the frig and then try to bloom in the winter and Spring here in Southern west coast Florida.
Here is a Pleione that I find easy to force to bloom (my Cyps are being very difficult this year ):
1649504065685.jpeg
1649504088769.jpeg

Where did the clonal name come from? Tongariro is the Maori name for a river in New Zealand.

Cool! I picked up some of these earlier this year. It will be my first attempt at Pleione. I'm counting it as an experiment for now, testing some in perlite + peat, others in bark + sphag. Any tips?

I've also picked up some Pleione species as a bit of a challenge/stretch, guess I'm a glutton for punishment. I figure the Tongariro will be easier and more forgiving, but I liked some of what the species had to offer, such as fragrance, miniature size, and novelty.

What do you do for a cold rest. Stick in the refrigerator?
Yes refrigerator. Even tried freezer for some to mimic when in NYS (25 years ago ) when it is below freezing for weeks on end. Another orchid enthusiast here in Florida uses a wine cabinet cooler
(45-50 oF) with the wine bottles so spouse does not complain! Lol !
It’s a real chore and pain but can’t resist trying every year.

Cool! I picked up some of these earlier this year. It will be my first attempt at Pleione. I'm counting it as an experiment for now, testing some in perlite + peat, others in bark + sphag. Any tips?

I've also picked up some Pleione species as a bit of a challenge/stretch, guess I'm a glutton for punishment. I figure the Tongariro will be easier and more forgiving, but I liked some of what the species had to offer, such as fragrance, miniature size, and novelty.
I use potting soil with perlite in very very small pots for my Pleione and my Bletilla striata to force growth and hopefully blooming then replant in larger pots once more mature until the foliage dies back then in the frig unpotted with sphagnum to keep rhizomes/roots moist in plastic bags till pot up again in the winter/early
spring here in Florida. The ‘Tongariro’ is a reliable bloomer each March-May. As for my Cyps. (acaule, reginae, pubescens, candidum) it is still an experiment and work in progress over 10 years of trying……only a very few have bloomed. Some remain rhizomes and roots and occasional set of leaves and stop there year to year. Others rot and die, never to be replaced or try again.

Back