please tell me what I am doing wrong

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I

Islesnook

my hubby has abandoned all our orchids beacuse he has a new "pond" that is his baby, I have taken these sickly plants and tried to help them, to no avail, pics taken yesterday, any advice would be WONDERFUL....

Attachments

• phal and paph pic.jpg
    phal and paph pic.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 65
  • orchid1.jpg
    orchid1.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 60
They look a bit underwatered and not enough light. I would soak the pots in water for 15 minutes and stick them in front of a fan and put them in an east/west window. Just make sure to keep water out of the crown.

I live in Fl, I have them in a west facing window, they feel dry every 2 days, i will send a pic right now of my set-up, i mist them daily, and have rocks in the bottom of aquarium, but i do have plants lifted slightly off the rocks...

Attachments

• orchid setup.jpg
    orchid setup.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 28
where in FL? they might do better outside under the shade, since right now your AC is probably taking all the moisture.

Personally, I'd look at the roots. They will tell you about the health of the plant, whether it needs more water or has had too much.

I notice one of the paphs is in a clay pot with slots in the side. Clay pots dry out faster, and with slots even more so. Paphs like to stay moist (not soppin wet). Id consider repotting it into a small plastic pot. Plastic pots retain moisture longer.

I live on Anna Maria Island, it is s of Tampa Bay, and N of Sarasota, very hot right now, and I dont have any big trees to provide any shade...i will try all above suggestions, and repot in plastic pot, should I put moss in the top, the hygrometer reads between 60-80% almost constantly....thanks for all the advice, i need to learn abot sphag and bag tech,,he has some downstairs that I think have had enough....
thanks again
Beth

Hi Beth, and WELCOME!

I would also open your blinds. :)
Though most of those like a bit less light than some of the other Paph groups, sun's not a bad thing. If you have any shady spot outside, I'd throw them all out there. My plants have done so well since I put them outside this summer. Something I said I'd never do (I am in Massachusetts). I'm a convert and hope I can keep them out as long as possible this fall!

I'd be careful with the fertilizer depending on what the roots are like, foliar feeding might be a better option.

when I look at the roots, they just dont look healthy, i know they are supposed to be green or white, but it doesnt look like that, I watered yesterday and they feel dry again today, humidity is 70%, i repotted into a plastic pot as advised and mist often, with the leaves yellowish, i could not determine if too much light, or maybe water logged, thanks for all the advice, i am trying each....

bd

Paph roots are usually brownish, except for the growing tips. As Eric said, they should feel full and solid, not thin and brittle (underwatering) or soft and mushy (overwatering).

HOW exactly are you watering??? Trickling a little bit in the pots as not to create a puddle in the aquarium OR taking them to the sink and drenching them? You want to water the bejesus out of them instead of being stingy.

-Ernie

I would have unpotted, checked the roots & soaked the whole bareroot plant for 20 minutes. In the meantime I would be preparing new potting media & have that soaking too. I then would procede to repot. It certainly wouldn't hurt to use Protekt.
Next time ..... check around, quite often GH's board plants while you're away. Is there an orchid group/society in your area? A member would probably tend to them for you.

Back