Please tell me about P. fairrieanum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisFL

General Disarray
Reaction score
Size? Basic culture? Cultural nuances? Where to get a good one?

Pretty please?

...and while you're at it, perhaps delenatii and malipoense as well?

Chris - you ask where to get a good one ..... what do you want to spend? What might be a good one or appealing to me, may not be to someone else. A first bloom seedling could improve on the next blooming.Fairrieanums are compact plants, they can & will put up multiple new growths each year so a single growth, first time blooming plant is obviously going to cost less than a multi growth plant. As far as culture goes, mine are on a lower bench, in the morning they get bright indirect light, hopefully a little cooler temps, during the growing season I don't let them dry out inbetween waterings.

Thanks goldenrose, I can't recall ever having noticed one in person, but of the photos I see online, I'm really taken by the cultivars that have bold, dark patterning. I don't need something outstanding (or want it, since I have no experience with the genus, and may kill them), but you say they like cooler temps, and I don't think I can provide that. Jay's site also says it's an epiphyte?

I grow them in Ha Noi, they spent a very warm summer without damage. In fact fairrieanum need a cool season during winter, but in summer it can be extremely warm in the wild.

Chris, there were lots of them for sale at the POE this year in S.F. OZ has some fantastic ones and some that are average(meaning cheaper). Paphiness would probably get one for you or there are quite a few other vendors online that carry them.

I grow them in Ha Noi, they spent a very warm summer without damage. In fact fairrieanum need a cool season during winter, but in summer it can be extremely warm in the wild.

Yes I think they have no troubles with warm summers and very cool winters, but I think if you get them up in the 90's they need very good airflow and high humidity. And provide more shade when it is hot if you are growing in a greenhouse.

I have not read of them being epiphytic but have heard of them being found among grasses or in oak forests on both limestone and granite geologies (both high and low pH substrates).

Thanks folks. So do many of you use S/H culture for it given its lithophytic habits? How tall is the inflorescence? I imagine I can probably provide Winters in the intermediate range, if that's acceptable, it would be groing with lowland bulbo speces.

Anyway, this is just a fact finding mission. I'm out of the orchid world/hobby at the moment. If I start growing again, I think there will definitely be room made for this species.

I think this one likes more cold extremes than lowland bulbos. I think they are better in more phrag type conditions. It can get into the 40's in the winter for this species. Also its pretty small and compact in growth habit. I wouldn't expect a spike to get over 6-8 inches, but there are larger varieties around.

I've never tried semi hydro with paphs so can't help much with that question.

When happy they will divide and grow like crazy.

So do many of you use S/H culture for it
Mine has been in s/h for over a year and has grown very slooooow. But, my temps are probably too high for it's liking which may be the cause for that.

We have a number of them, and all are doing very good near the wetwalls where temp is an average of 22 C in the summer. Only thing growing closer to wetwalls are the masdavallias and restrepias.

I've gone from bark to chc and back to bark. Root wise they have boomed and busted in both mixes for me. I'm not sure if they have major mix preferences, but are more picky about humidity temp and light.

Latest posts

Back