Please educate me on phrags?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Over the last year and a half to two years I have bought a couple of phrags in bloom or fairly large sized divisions. I bring them home and the ones in bud flower in the greenhouse. Then they just sit there. We'll maybe not just sit there as they are growing, yet no blooms. I just got back from being away for three weeks and noticed my phrag. sedenii with a flower spike started. This one is on the slightly darker side of the greenhouse. Actually, it was laying on the floor. It was also sitting in a saucer of water. So do phrags. like high or low light in order to bloom? Thanks for all the input that you growers will give me.

I'm been growing Phrags. for almost two years and I really
think you have to find the best way to grow them for yourself. I find that mine like more rather than less light and I don't set them in water. I do water them every day when the weather is good (sunny) and skip it when
it's raining. I grow in clay pots with lots of holes in the
bottom and sides in Orchiata #5 with LOTS of air movement. I fertilize with K-Lite once a week or so depending on the weather. My Phrags. do bloom when
they're ready to bloom and I don't seem to have much
to do with it. I'm still learning too.

From my experience, mine like higher light, lots of water, less fertilizer. My greenhouse faces N but gets a few hours of Sun as it moves E to W. I supplement light, also.
The best growth I had was in a bark, coconut husk, charcoal mix that did have a reservoir at the bottom, but when I watered especially in the summer the pots were flushed,& aerated. I used tap water, too.
I need to go back to this. I get great blooms now. but am seeing fertilizer leaf tip burn . I use rain water now , and the submersible pump doesn't aerate or flush as forcefully .I use MSU rain formula . I am going to cut back on fertilizer and hopefully get rid of the leaf burn.

Right, Linus. Phrag. besseae and kovachii seem to prefer Phal light. All the other Phrags like Cattleya light and lots of water and lots of air. Even the caudatum types like to stay moist; but, not sitting in a puddle. They do better in a net pot with very frequent watering; giving them plenty of both, water and air.

I agree with Linus & John about light & water. In addition, I found that slightly acidic water is better than alkaline.

Back