Platystele umbellata

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mathias

Reaction score
Platystele umbellata is an orchid species from Colombia where it is found at elevations between 600 and 1600 m. I grow this plant on a waterfilled, porous terracotta pipe. It has been mounted there for about a year and is growing like crazy. As the water evaporates from the moist surface of the pipe it gets more cold than the surrounding environment. I really love this miniature species with its raspberry like flower heads. :D

Whole plant photo:
6037823899_019c6ba734_b.jpg

Macro photo on a flower head. Each flower is apprix. 1 mm in size:
6037823487_340ccbfc68_b.jpg

That is well bloomed. One of my favorite platysteles but not easy as most. Andy's Orchids had one at a show that was about 25cm around. BTW, you should show something like a pencil next to the plant to show how small the blooms are. Thank for sharing.

Wonderfully cute!!! Nice mounting technique too...!!! I think it could help the ones growing on the cooler side cope with hot periods.... :) TY

Thanks a lot for your comments. A nice thing with this species is that it flowers also from the old leaves, so as the plats gets bigger there is a chance for some spectacular shows. :D

Btw., here is a picture of the whole mount, wich is an old terracotta drainage pipe that measures 30 cm high and 10 cm diameter. There are some more pictures and notes on the mounted species if you visit my photostream at Flickr.

The species flowering on the right is a Ceratochilus biglandulosus.

6061336181_36be00aeb9_b.jpg

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mossiae/

Latest posts

Back