Platanthera psycodes

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool. Where's you get from (which vendor)?
These were photographed in the wild.
A friend recently asked me how to find them. I said: "You know when you're walking along a low mountain trail, and you see those wet swampy spots where the ferns are 5ft tall and the ground is black muck that swallows your feet up to your shins and you can see the clouds of bugs from 50 paces and you looked at it and said "NOPE!"? Walk into those until you lose a shoe and it looks like you're in South America, then look around for purple things."

Last edited:
These were photographed in the wild.
A friend recently asked me how to find them. I said: "You know when you're walking along a low mountain trail, and you see those wet swampy spots where the ferns are 5ft tall and the ground is black muck that swallows your feet up to your shins and you can see the clouds of bugs from 50 paces and you looked at it and said "NOPE!"? Walk into those until you lose a shoe and it looks like you're in South America, then look around for purple things."

Sounds like where I found them in Maine decades ago! The only other place I saw them in abundance were on the ridge lines of the southern Appalachians growing on boggy, peaty scree in full sun in mats of ericaceous shrubs - blueberries, huckleberries, sheep laurel and the like.

Question: ever seen P. grandiflora in your travels?

Yep, plenty of times, just a touch early for them yet in the locations I know. They are much more impressive than psycodes, typically, although nothing compares to peramoena.

Yeah, they really are. Sadly, couldn't get germination from seed last year. Now my flasker has retired due to a family tragedy, so I probably won't bother with them anymore, at least not until I can set up a flask lab of my own.

Latest posts

Back