Plants From My Garden

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This next one is relatively famous in western Canada. It's Lilium philadelphicum, western wood lily. Native to Alberta, and the floral emblem of Saskatchewan. These are not all that easy to grow. When you get it right though, they form clumps fast! Very showy little lily. They supposedly grow to 3 feet tall when fully mature, but mine have never grown taller than 18". I've never seen them in the wild before - they're more rare than yellow lady's slipper! I'll post another photo when all the buds are open.

I didn't realize these occurred that far north and west. It's a pretty common species in the northeastern US in dry fields and roadsides. All the plants I've seen were no more than 18" and many much shorter, so I'd say that a three foot specimen would be exceptional. It is for sure a lovely thing and congrats on growing it so nicely.

Here's the distribution map from eFloras: http://www.efloras.org/object_page.aspx?object_id=8366&flora_id=1 Pretty darn widespread!

Last edited:
I didn't realize these occurred that far north and west. It's a pretty common species in the northeastern US in dry fields and roadsides. All the plants I've seen were no more than 18" and many much shorter, so I'd say that a three foot specimen would be exceptional. It is for sure a lovely thing and congrats on growing it so nicely.

Here's the distribution map from eFloras: http://www.efloras.org/object_page.aspx?object_id=8366&flora_id=1 Pretty darn widespread!

It has really been overpicked/overcollected here. Native plant enthusiasts treasure it as much as they do orchids. It's amazing that we have a native lily that easily matches or even beats many of the garden cultivars! The specimen I posted is orange, but I have others that are quite red too.

It must be a really old cultivar, because everyone has it and it's not available at nurseries. It's pretty though, and you're right - it grows quickly and yields lots of divisions.

I have it too - from a gardening friend. :D

Joe, I'm really enjoying the tour of your gardens - everything is lovely.

A few more today...

Iris sibirica, Siberian iris. Forms beautiful clumps after a few years.

A gorgeous bearded iris with an unreal copper color (the photo doesn't do it justice). I don't know the name.

Centaurea dealbata, pink cornflower. Such an easy plant to grow, and very pretty!

Allium christophii, star-of-Persia. Really cool plant.

I need one of those purple Allium plants! They would work well in any garden

Your bronze iris is gorgeous!

Thank you! I should try to get a better photo of the iris.

I have grown a number of Alliums in my garden; not all of the available ones are all that hardy. I've found that 'Purple Sensation' is short-lived, and A. uniflora and A. giganteum are a little tender (probably zone 4). A. christophii does seem to be a good one though. Another good one is A. caeruleum, and A. cernuum is a pretty native species.

A few more...

My grandma planted columbines when I was little, and a few years ago I noticed the last surviving one struggling under my large ***** willow (which my grandma also grew from a cutting she took from a wild plant). I moved it to a brighter spot, and it has flowered every year since. I love the peach sepals.

Here's another photo of my bronze/copper iris. The sun makes it look quite red, but it really is a fantastic bronzy copper color.

Another copper colored flower is Paeonia x 'Kopper Kettle', an Itoh hybrid. I bought this as a 'Bartzella' a few years ago (it was a mislabelled seedling). It grew a bit bigger each year, and is flowering for the first time this year. Love it! I'll still have to get a real Bartzella though! The flower looks pink in the photo, but it is quite coppery, with a hint of pink. I'll have to get another photo when the sun is behind the clouds or something.

Update

I haven't had a lot of time lately to take photos. I managed to get a few this morning as I start work late today.

First up is Paeonia lactiflora 'Moon of Nippon'. This is one of my favorite Japanese lactiflora peonies (and I like the Japanese ones the best), and I don't see it very often. The flowers are very big and sweetly fragrant. It's also a very vigorous grower.

Corydalis flexuosa 'Blue Panda' is a very uncommon plant here. I have a small Corydalis collection which I am trying to expand. The native species are annuals or biennials, and the non-native perennials are tender and a little tricky to grow. I do have two native species in my garden, which re-seed each year. Some seedlings are popping up, so hopefully I'll see some flowers. This one, of course, is one of the non-native perennials. The flowers of this plant are small, dainty, and difficult to photograph. They are a true cobalt blue. Around here, it must be grown in a cool spot in the garden - they detest the summer heat. They need constant moisture. Even if they're babied they often go dormant in midsummer, but they sometimes reappear and flower again in the fall.

Rosa 'John Cabot'. I do not like Prairie hardy roses like this one. Those of you who live in the States or warmer parts of Canada probably never grow these types of roses, which have small flowers that look okay as they open, but look like crap after a couple days. They are also usually not fragrant. I have an English rose called Falstaff which I will show when the new buds open - the first flowers evaded my camera lens.

Paeonia lactiflora 'Sarah Bernhardt', a classic double. These were among the few plants that existed in my yard when we moved here 18 years ago. Who knows how old they are. I have had to replace one out of seven plants as it died of old age. The others have yet to show signs of decline. These large, ball-shaped flowers smell like roses.

My martagon liles are starting to bloom now. These are all greatly underused in my region. They are very hardy, and are among the few lilies that do well in shade. The only drawback is they hate being disturbed, and usually take a break from blooming for a year after being moved. But, who wants to move plants around constantly anyway?

First up is L. x 'Lois Hole', a cross with unspotted yellow flowers with white backsides. Unique and beautiful. This is a vigorous grower, named for the late Lieutenant-Governor of Alberta Lois Hole, who was also the owner and co-founder of a large local and well-known nursery called Hole's Greenhouses and Gardens, and the author of a series of best-selling gardening books.

A close-up of a flower of L. x dalhansonii, a cross between L. martagon var. dalmaticum and L. hansonii. This is the most common martagon cross in my area, and the most vigorous one I have grown. It form clumps quickly, and the flowers smell a bit like cinnamon.

Allium caeruleum, one of my favorite blue flowers. The flower clusters are small, but very showy. These plants have naturalized in my garden.

Gorgeous garden! Love the "Moon of Nippon". Gotta find one (or similar one) for my mom next year :)

I didn't know there was a martagon named after Lois Hole. Where did you get it?

I love the tree peony!
Do you give it winter protection even though it is a mature plant?

I just bought two tree peonies for container planting. I will be putting it into my garage for dormancy. I can't get the one I put into the ground to grow well.

Latest posts

Back