Plants From My Garden

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parvi_17

Reaction score
This year I'd like to share some pictures of my garden plants with everyone. I'll start with an introduction:

I have a small urban garden on a little lot about 15 minutes out of downtown, in which I can fit only a limited number of plants. But I have managed to cram in about 200 varieties of perennials and maybe 15 or 20 trees and shrubs. I've lived on this property for most of my life, and the garden was originally taken care of by my grandma. When she moved out it kind of went to Hell for a couple years because my mom is too busy with work to take care of a garden. About 10 years ago I slowly started working on the yard so that I could have places to plant my Cyps, and before long I started collecting other perennials and expanding the garden. To this day the garden remains simply a series of plots where I plant the plants I have collected... I've tried to landscape tastefully but I'm just not very good at it. As a result I won't be posting pictures of the gardens, but of the individual plants within them. I know many of you live in warm areas and grow all sorts of neat stuff, so you may not be impressed at all by my plants, but many of my plants are uncommon in my region so I treasure them. At any rate, I hope you enjoy my amateur photography! :p

Today I'll start with the first plant to bloom in my garden this year, which also happens to be one of my favorites. It's Aquilegia jonesii, commonly called Jones' columbine. I LOVE columbines and whenever I see a neat species I pick it up. This plant is particularly rare in my area. It is an alpine species that just forms a little cushion of blue leaves, which is topped with violet flowers in the spring. It's no more than 2" tall and maybe 4" wide. This plant has been planted here for 4 years now. It didn't bloom in 2008 or 2009, so this single flower is the first I've seen on it since the first time it bloomed in 2007. On that occasion it probably produced about 10 blooms. Not really sure why it's having troubles blooming now; hopefully this is the start of a trend of improvement.

Here are a couple photos:

There will be more in bloom in the next few days - Tulipa tarda, Tulipa pulchella and Lewisia tweedyi are in bud.

Keep em coming Joe! Love the little columbine. Do you grow it in scree? In this hot climate I can get away with a few alpines if I use pure gravel in deep pots.

I'm assuming what I did is basically a scree: I replaced the heavy garden soil that existed there with a lighter compost, and mixed in tons of sand and gravel. Then I topped it with limestone. What you see in the picture is dead leaves covering the limestone. The pH when I planted was about 7.5, but it may have dropped by now; in fact, maybe that's what's causing the lack of flowers? Perhaps I should check.

I grow a number of alpines in this section of the garden, but I'm still building my collection of them.

Cute little bloom!!! I want to try and make a collection with small plants growing on rocks...! There are many interesting local species that grow like this...!

200 varieties...!! WOW!!! I am waiting for photos!!!!!!

Cute little bloom!!! I want to try and make a collection with small plants growing on rocks...! There are many interesting local species that grow like this...!

200 varieties...!! WOW!!! I am waiting for photos!!!!!!

Lol no one would believe I have that many with how ugly my yard looks... but it's true! There will be plenty of pictures. The plants are slow to start in my area; the majority of them bloom in June and July (although some of the coolest ones bloom in May). I don't grow a lot of early flowering bulbs either, which makes my garden even slower to start.

Lol no one would believe I have that many with how ugly my yard looks... but it's true! There will be plenty of pictures. The plants are slow to start in my area; the majority of them bloom in June and July (although some of the coolest ones bloom in May). I don't grow a lot of early flowering bulbs either, which makes my garden even slower to start.

Oh, ok...! I (we) can wait!!! Many alpines tend to flower in mid - late summer...!!! I suggest you take before and during flowering photos. It is very interesting to see the progress...! :D:D:D

That's sweet, Joe -- I think the plant itself is good enough to grow just for the foliage. The flower is a bonus.

Keep the photos coming, please.

Oh, ok...! I (we) can wait!!! Many alpines tend to flower in mid - late summer...!!! I suggest you take before and during flowering photos. It is very interesting to see the progress...! :D:D:D

Oh, I wasn't talking just about alpines, but about all my perennials. The alpines only make up about 1/4 of my perennial collection, maybe less than that.

That's sweet, Joe -- I think the plant itself is good enough to grow just for the foliage. The flower is a bonus.

Keep the photos coming, please.

I was going to say the same thing, actually - I love the foliage on this plant. All columbines have nice leaves, but this one beats them all, I think.

You have Columbine flowering now!?? To compare, do you also have A. canadensis? Those bloom in June here. You should get some crocus (the native ones) too - they are in bloom now. Tulipa tarda is blooming here for us now, too.

You have Columbine flowering now!?? To compare, do you also have A. canadensis? Those bloom in June here. You should get some crocus (the native ones) too - they are in bloom now. Tulipa tarda is blooming here for us now, too.

A. jonesii is the only species that flowers at this time of the year in my garden. I have other species (including canadensis) that flower late May to June.

I had a Pulsatilla patens, but it died for some reason. I'm planning on getting more of them this year. I have some other Pulsatilla species, which will bloom in the next 2 weeks. P. vulgaris is among them, which is blooming in other gardens around here, but mine are a little later.

I don't grow true Crocus (the bulbs). Don't have much interest in them.

its not easy keeping that perfect yard! Awesome that you already have things blooming. (my tulips haven't bloomed yet)

You said it! Things are a little earlier this year because the weather was decent this month. I don't get blooms in April every year; I look at other peoples' gardens and see stuff blooming in April and I'm always very envious. My garden is a bit cooler, with less sun in most areas than a lot of gardens, so things take longer to get going. I also, like I say, don't really grow spring bulbs so I lack the tulips, daffodils, etc. (with the exception of species tulips, which I love).

Very pretty blue columbine and awesome foliage! Have never seen this one before.
I love species tulips,too.
Please keep the pics coming!

Well I won't be posting more garden pics for at least a few days... we just got a dumping of around 4" of snow last night and it's been continuing on and off today. That's the way it goes around here... about a week and a half or two weeks ago it was sunny and 26C/79F! Unfortunately the plants do get stressed from these kinds of weather extremes... hence it can be difficult and extremely frustrating to garden here!

Here is a view of the front yard from my living room window... it's a good thing I have today and tomorrow off! I work at a garden center during the summer, and it wouldn't have been pretty as much of my job is conducted outside!

HOLY SMOKES!!! That's crazy...:eek:

LOL I knew someone would get a kick out of that... It's pretty much expected around here though. We're used to our crappy climate. An interesting note for those who live in paradise - I believe our annual last expected frost date here is May 13th, and traditionally we plant new annuals and perennials on the Victoria Day long weekend (May 22-24 this year), because usually by that time the weather is not only nice, but stays nice (last year I think we had a snowstorm around that time, and a week later it was 25C/77F outside!).

Latest posts

Back