PK photo with 3 simultaneous flowers

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

Pablo

thought it would make sense to publish the photo of Phragmipedium kovachii "Ana" with three simultaneous flowers. The owner and grower is Alfredo Manrique here in Lima, Peru. Whanted to upload a much better picture but just could not do it!

Attachments

• PK-ana.jpg
    PK-ana.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 94
3 flower PK

Hope I can do it right this time....
PK-ana.jpg

Pablo

The second one came out great. What a thrill to see 3 on one plant.

Grandma

wait a minute... that plant looks jungle collected.
(okay, i'm being funny here. everyone knows it was LEGALLY jungle collected....)

JA; JA; JA!!!!!:) Actually this is one of the 5 famous plants Alfredo Manrique extracted with proper permits from the Peruvian authority to act as mother plants. I have seen it since it arrived at Alfredo's and is the same plant... Alfredo's idea has been right from the start to produce flasks and we are all finally enjoying the results! In fact, I just saw it a few minutes ago and can send you fresh pictures of how it looks like.

INRENA has a close watch on these plants (don't know in the case of the other growers with permits) and takes picture to validate not a piece has been cut.

Pablo

likespaphs said:
wait a minute... that plant looks jungle collected.
(okay, i'm being funny here. everyone knows it was LEGALLY jungle collected....)

Wonderful,
but let us wait for the flowers of the seedlings in USA and Europe

Olaf

Yes sir!
All plants at Alfredo's are in buds or at least sheats this time of the year. At the habitat they must be in the blooming season....ok, but rains in the area are terrible, hard to get to the new sites to see PK in bloom.
I visited last weekend CJJM Orchids too, and he told me the future count for spikes is...............24, with some two to three buds per spike. I am waiting to see the best flowering season of PKs at CJM Orchids. Probably between April-May and June.
I also noticed there that there are already some fine division of some clons, like "Grimanesa Manrique" (Alfredo's mother), "Laura" and small division of "Miluska". But still big clumps of "Ana" and one more to be named...
Also he is requesting a new permit to increase his genetic stock(sic), meaning legal permit to collect 5 more PKs at the new habitat. We all hopeINRENA to issue the permit.

isaias m rolando said:
Yes sir!
All plants at Alfredo's are in buds or at least sheats this time of the year. At the habitat they must be in the blooming season....ok, but rains in the area are terrible, hard to get to the new sites to see PK in bloom.
I visited last weekend CJJM Orchids too, and he told me the future count for spikes is...............24, with some two to three buds per spike. I am waiting to see the best flowering season of PKs at CJM Orchids. Probably between April-May and June.
I also noticed there that there are already some fine division of some clons, like "Grimanesa Manrique" (Alfredo's mother), "Laura" and small division of "Miluska". But still big clumps of "Ana" and one more to be named...
Also he is requesting a new permit to increase his genetic stock(sic), meaning legal permit to collect 5 more PKs at the new habitat. We all hopeINRENA to issue the permit.

Why not ask INRENA for a permit to collect wild seed and leave the plants in nature?

Lance,

I think that might not be praticle since you wouldn't know if the seeds ripe. If you were to set the pod your self, there are no guarantees that an insect won't eat it before its ready to collect. I guess you could shield it somehow, but thats quite the hike to go on to check if the pods are ready.

Kyle

Kyle said:
Lance,

I think that might not be praticle since you wouldn't know if the seeds ripe. If you were to set the pod your self, there are no guarantees that an insect won't eat it before its ready to collect. I guess you could shield it somehow, but thats quite the hike to go on to check if the pods are ready.

Kyle

For 300 soles per month they can hire a local guard for each seed pod. What is the problem with letting a local man earn some of the profits? And that hike is nothing for a local person do do everyday. And they can just keep looking until they find a naturally ripe pod.

OK I'm ready for the next excuse! :poke:

Hi Lance,

Your right. Its been a year since I have been in South America. I forgot how cheap labour is. I think I am out of excuses for now, just thinking out loud.

Kyle

gonewild said:
Why not ask INRENA for a permit to collect wild seed and leave the plants in nature?
Personally, with the plants disappearing at a rapid rate and sold on the black market, the collection of a few plants to maintain genetic biodiversity in breeding stock might not be a bad thing. This way once the pressure is off PK there is material available for reintroduction.

There a few cases against reintroduction, especially in respect to the relationship with pollenators. Selective breeding can select against the pollenator. Especially in slipper orchids.

Kyle

Latest posts

Back