Piping Rock sold!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting. The last time I checked the site, I noticed a message that seemed to indicate sales were being halted while they moved. I didn't know the business was changing ownership. I wish the new owner(s) the best of luck, Piping Rock was always a great vendor and I had quite a bit of luck with them as well as some great plants.

He's speaking at the Cape Fear OS meeting on the 16th. I'm going to try to make it, and if so, I'll try to remember to ask.

I spoke to Hadley at the 2018 Paphiopedilum Forum. He’s looking for someone interested in purchasing his whole collection minus some plants he wants to keep.

The problem is, those of us who have been in the business for more than 25 years (32 for me!) are all getting older, and large collections are hard to maintain in top condition without a lot of labor. It's easier when you have children who have been raised in the business and show interest in carrying it on, like the Fischers up at Orchids, Ltd., but most of us have kids that want little to do with the long hours, shows,travel and meager (for them) income especially if they plan on raising a family. I hope Glen succeeds in whatever he decides to do after Piping Rock; he's one of the good guys in the business.

I met Glen a few weeks ago. He was planning on retiring years ago. He sold all of his breeding Phragmipedium to Kyle at Quintal Farm before he sold the rest of his plants to George Crosier including the greenhouse. He keeps 500 plants as his personal collection and become a hobby grower again with his new 12x24 greenhouse. It seems like he has planned his retirement well and he is happy with it so far.

Tom, you have it just right. Nobody wants our tree nursery, least
of all my husband's children/his grandchildren. It's a labor of love
and it doesn't get passed down a generation sadly. I wish the
retirees well.

Wish I could get my kids interested. It seems like I buy a lot of collections these days (two big collections this year, one commercial grower and one former commercial grower). I'm well past my limit for a one man operation. :)

Latest posts

Back