Piping Rock new owner

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I honestly cannot say if he intended to skirt the law or if it was really just a labeling mistake on the export end of the transaction, but the authorities went out of their way to use him to set an example, making a huge amount of damage to his health.

I have never heard anything to suggest he ever had anything other than honorable intentions.

The unfortunate thing for him, and many others like him, is that regulatory agencies are often quite underfunded relative to the level of political pressure on them to maintain a certain level of monitoring and enforcement. One very effective, and logical, way to maximize the use of limited resources is to pursue key cases in a very high profile and merciless manner. It may result in what seems like an excessive punishment for the specific target, but the message it sends can be a powerful deterrent to others for many years to come.

Well said Frank. This dark chapter in the modern history of Paphiopedilums is one I had buried deep in my mind, and I did not even think on it until I read your post tonight.

I did not know George Norris- but that story is a cautionary tale about knowing a business and its risks fully before diving in, as well as the wisdom of putting your financial security on the line to provide bail or other financial support for people you thought would remain your friends at a time when everyone is forced to look out for themselves.

This is not intended as a criticism against Mr. Norris- everything I have ever heard suggested his intentions were honorable, but for the benefit of future dealers in orchids in general this is a good story to research and understand well. Enforcement in this area is rarely directed at things like orchids, but these agencies are used to dealing with very dangerous people trafficking in merchandise at a dollar level worth killing for- and if you get caught in the crosshairs without having pristine documentation, you can expect a terrifying and very expensive experience.

The only thing I would add to your impact statement Frank is that I think these events were also a big part of the acceleration in the decline of the importance of the AOS. As you noted, consistent with history the game of being a leading player in the orchid world is fraught with jealousy and a complete lack of loyalty to the community at large. I think my own comments stand as a very high level reason for long term declines, but the acceleration of the decline- with a disproportionately high impact from more serious growers and vendor- very much came into play for the reasons you have laid out.

The worst of this is that the scale and intensity of the many actions taken around that time were largely the result of fellow growers who had done as bad or worse turning snitch on their competitors to either save their own skins or try and settle long held grievances and turf wars. The AOS and other organizations were wise to take a neutral stance, but unfortunately the mere continuing recognition of certain figures as experts constituted taking sides as it was not just orchid vendors who willingly dived into this abysmal game. As much as I was angered at the AOS for that ridiculous visitor center in the middle of nowhere that nearly collapsed the organization financially, it was the continued publication and recognition of certain authority figures who had been key players in the destruction of the reputation and lives of many orchid breeders and hybridizers over the importation, selling and breeding of Paphs and Phrags that was truly unforgiveable.
Not that I think that nature pillage by poachers should be condoned .
From what I read , I am sure George Norris didn't do such thing.
That said , the Kovachii hasn't killed any American so far , while the Fentanyl and other drugs flooding our country across the border. Just in one year, 2021 alone, 70,601 Americans died from Fentanyl overdose, those were the Deaths, years after years ,we haven't calculated the cost for treatment, families' destructions , drug blighted neighborhoods , drug related crimes, loss of productivity ..and so on ..how do you quantify "Misery"
It seems that all of our priorities were upside down
Well , if the Cocaine can reach the inner sanctum of our country, The White House , yet the authority failed to come up with the suspect, is beyond investigation failure, no finger print ?
Did all the security cameras fail at once ? I would assume such an important place would have security measure that as my Grandma used to say: "a fly zips by and they would now whether it is a male or a female fly " , images would be captured in zillion pixel details .

Last edited:
Hien, I really don’t think this is the place for such commentary, and as my moderator roll permits me to do so, I have considered deleting it. However, instead, I am asking that others “report” if they agree, and I’ll let the group decide.

Hien, I really don’t think this is the place for such commentary, and as my moderator roll permits me to do so, I have considered deleting it. However, instead, I am asking that others “report” if they agree, and I’ll let the group decide.
Thanks Ray for such nice consideration on my behalf . I am an honest person , and tend to say what I think, my post above might be erroneously interpreted as a political aiming at the current Biden Administration (which I didn't mean to do that, I don't get involve with politic, specially in an orchid forum)
I only compare the unfortunate event befell Mr. Norris (which I thought a slap on the wrist would be sufficient) with the drug problems (which have been occurred thru many decades , and many administrations) I did not imply that such problems occur only recently, anyone who read the post carefully would spot the phrase "years after years" that I used . Since the current statistic on the internet listed the year 2021, I just conveniently quoted that number. It pained me to see our youths walked like zombies , and died on the streets . I am sure everyone on this forum knew someone who struggled to rebuild his/her life from drugs , and felt the same as I did .
On the last phrase about "the drug reach the inner sanctum, the White House..." I only want to express my exasperation , resignation , that no wonder it was a problem on the streets , if someone even dared to bring it in there (again , I don't imply that someone using it in the White House, it could have been left there , or planted there as a test of the security, if so it will be short sighted to giving up finding the suspect)
Finally, I hope my Slippertalk friends got a laugh out of my Grandma's fly joke.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back