Pink Sky

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ha, I would definitely take on a seedling! I used to be terrified of seedlings until a Paph expert gave me a free Phal seedling (I was in a repotting class, and we all got one) I was told that it would be red or Orange when an adult! Well, 6 years later, I had an obviously dwarf Phal which was very due blooming. I tucked it outside for the summer hoping it would encourage blooming! Unfortunately a deer passed by and decided to EAT IT! It was very rewarding however and would grow another seedling at the drop of a hat!!
Try seedlings if the cross interests you. Some seedlings grow and bloom a lot sooner than 6 years.

Ha, I would definitely take on a seedling! I used to be terrified of seedlings until a Paph expert gave me a free Phal seedling (I was in a repotting class, and we all got one) I was told that it would be red or Orange when an adult! Well, 6 years later, I had an obviously dwarf Phal which was very due blooming. I tucked it outside for the summer hoping it would encourage blooming! Unfortunately a deer passed by and decided to EAT IT! It was very rewarding however and would grow another seedling at the drop of a hat!!
an unhappy ending, but a happy way to learn to keep fears about seedling growth away

Coming to accept that some plants just don’t grow well and never will. I tend to think I can push them into magnificence but it’s just a crapshoot.
Of course, there will always be better/worse growers among the bunch.
Also, I don't believe one can push the plants to grow. We can only provide good conditions that will help them grow and develop properly. ;)

With that said, some paphs will take many years before they start to grow better all of sudden while some are good right from the start.
This plant has flowered three times already and I think I have to accept that this is just how this plant behaves, a slow grower that does not want to clump up but blooms on a regular basis. Oh, well..can't have it all.

By the way, both flowers have fallen off over the weekend. I saved the pollen.
They opened one month ago. This was about the average bloom lifespan in the previous flowering also. One month.
No new growth yet but the older growth that did not flower is suddenly sending something dark from its center. So, it might be a late spike on that growth? Who knows! :)

Latest posts

Back