Pinguicula immaculata, a tiny carnivore

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SFLguy

Reaction score
Pinguicula immaculata is not a commonly grown species - especially in the U.S.

6f313cc2f5330d23fc3a3d4c2216278f.jpg
b9688388bf14658501d25562f4f06fb6.jpg
35ba0ac7f164f541cdb25ac2d5c9a3b3.jpg
3659e0dbc9a7fbaea7f849aca90839fc.jpg

This cute little one is a Mexican Pinguicula that likes slightly drier conditions than usual.

Someone gave me a Ping recently, but I have no idea how to grow it.
Haha
Well what kind of ping is it? If you don't know, a picture could help
If it's a Mexican Pinguicula, just keep it in a tray and water it with distilled /rain water unless you have soft water in which case I envy you
They'll do well on a windowsill, under lights, possibly outside though I don't know how they'll handle frosts - probably not well
In winter this group can form succulent growth and like to have water withheld similar to many dendrobium spp

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Haha
Well what kind of ping is it? If you don't know, a picture could help
If it's a Mexican Pinguicula, just keep it in a tray and water it with distilled /rain water unless you have soft water in which case I envy you
They'll do well on a windowsill, under lights, possibly outside though I don't know how they'll handle frosts - probably not well
In winter this group can form succulent growth and like to have water withheld similar to many dendrobium spp

Interesting. I don't know what kind it is. I was told to keep it wet, so I did, but probably too wet. I accidentally knocked it over, it fell out of the pot, and it is a bit smashed up. There are very few roots, mostly mush. I repotted it in moist sphagnum and hope it will grow new roots.
It does seem to be quite succulent, so I appreciate your recommendation of less water in winter.

Interesting. I don't know what kind it is. I was told to keep it wet, so I did, but probably too wet. I accidentally knocked it over, it fell out of the pot, and it is a bit smashed up. There are very few roots, mostly mush. I repotted it in moist sphagnum and hope it will grow new roots.
It does seem to be quite succulent, so I appreciate your recommendation of less water in winter.
You can keep it pretty wet as long as it's in some kind of airy medium. If it's a Mexican Pinguicula, Sphagnum can rot it unfortunately.
Other species enjoy being in Sphagnum though so it all depends on what it is. If you want, you can send me a picture or post a picture here and I could help
More than likely you can take some leaves off to propagate the plant and have some backups

Someone gave me a Ping recently, but I have no idea how to grow it.

Did it come from me? The Mexican ones are incredibly easy to grow, just keep them moist. They fall out of the pots, it is how they propagate themselves. No worries, just put it back in. Never have more than just wee little roots.

I could kill it in three hours :( :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'd bet on at least 4
Once you can grow one Mexican Ping, you can grow almost all of them though this one is maybe a little more sensitive
Many hybrids are incredibly easy though

Did it come from me? The Mexican ones are incredibly easy to grow, just keep them moist. They fall out of the pots, it is how they propagate themselves. No worries, just put it back in. Never have more than just wee little roots.

It came from Jerrie. She had it in sphagnum in a pot with no drainage. I changed the sphagnum and put it into a pot with holes. It seems to be doing OK so far.

Back