Phrags on their travels

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
First photo is our current boundary wall In Wales. A bit different to my usual brick background.
This a triploid Fritz from OL made with the tetraploid besseae ‘rob’s choice’ and kovachii ‘Tesoro Morado’. The polyploid nature of this cross means that the flowers stay flat and there is no petal curl.
Also the extra dose of besseae produces a redder flower. I cut off last year’s spike as I wasn’t happy with the root growth. It’s improving but still not great. When it’s produced a couple of blooms the spike will be cut and the plant repotted into a net pot.
1D5F69C0-C24E-492C-95D4-3E016FB2A38F.jpeg74B1E544-4859-41BE-B9FA-4350C408B70B.jpeg
David

Thanks Angela, they grow really good hydrangeas round here. It’s wet on the Welsh coast and frosts are rare. This clone is one of my two favourite phrags. I just need to get the culture right and produce a larger growth.

I'm intrigued by the Welsh coastal area. I've been doing research on immigration to Peebles, Scotland in the
borders. Perhaps you can update us from time to time on the weather conditions in the general area compared
to Scotland.

Angela, that’s quite a move!
The weather on the west coast of the UK is quite different to where we lived for 14 years in east anglia. It’s fairly mild and can be very wet and windy. The prevailing wind comes all the way across the Atlantic from the USA. The further north you go, the cooler it gets in general. However when the sun comes out it’s very beautiful and lush and green.
This is one of the reason we are going coastal but in the far south west, in cornwall. It’s warmer down there.
The coastal strip where the weather is affected directly by the sea has some of the lowest levels of temperature variation anywhere in the world. Frosts are very rare and most years it’s uncommon for the temperature to get above 30c. In many years it will only get to the high twenties.
The variety of plants you can grow is huge!

David, living in the Norway/Sweden of the USA I won’t compare climates with you. I have two large plants of this Fritz Schomburg cross. My flowers look very much like yours. I am growing them in Hydroton with a middle and top layer of Grodan cubes to impeded evaporation and they have robust root growth.

First photo is our current boundary wall In Wales. A bit different to my usual brick background.
This a triploid Fritz from OL made with the tetraploid besseae ‘rob’s choice’ and kovachii ‘Tesoro Morado’. The polyploid nature of this cross means that the flowers stay flat and there is no petal curl.
Also the extra dose of besseae produces a redder flower. I cut off last year’s spike as I wasn’t happy with the root growth. It’s improving but still not great. When it’s produced a couple of blooms the spike will be cut and the plant repotted into a net pot.
View attachment 36624View attachment 36625
David
I grow mine in Grodan minicubes mixed with large perlite (3/1) and I water very 4 days. Grows like wildfire.

Latest posts

Back