Phragmipedium Yelva Myre ‘Bloody Mary’ AM/AOS

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrLeslieEe

Scholar, Addict and Aficionado of Orchidacea
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The bud just opened today and flower was already 10.5 cm with petal width of 3.5 cm… wow… as it will stretch more I can’t imagine if it may pass the 12 cm mark!

The petals on this one holds horizontally like a crucifix.

Flowering after a hiatus of 3.5 years lol.

Fun fact: this is my only Phrag lol.

BC9222EB-A7F3-4222-801F-615A2E2ED927.jpegD40D2141-E477-482C-9AAA-25B3CBB9422B.jpeg23AC7ED2-972F-4EAA-A168-9799853FA507.jpeg

I am jealous! Very close to purchasing one! Not sure if they like me or not! I have had Phrags for 2 years and have lost two due to heat waves! What I have left don’t seem to care so much! They are young, I am getting new plants that are coming up. Some have gotten quite large. Flowers???…None yet but I have been very very hesitant on fertilisers. One side of my brain is saying they need it. The other side says to listen to folks that say Phrags are intolerant of fertiliser! But, I ask, if I am using distilled water, where are they getting nutrients from???

I am jealous! Very close to purchasing one! Not sure if they like me or not! I have had Phrags for 2 years and have lost two due to heat waves! What I have left don’t seem to care so much! They are young, I am getting new plants that are coming up. Some have gotten quite large. Flowers???…None yet but I have been very very hesitant on fertilisers. One side of my brain is saying they need it. The other side says to listen to folks that say Phrags are intolerant of fertiliser! But, I ask, if I am using distilled water, where are they getting nutrients from???
I do feed mine regularly and seem to be no problems. But like DJThom says, flush after in 2 hours if you’re worried.

Last edited:
........Fun fact: this is my only Phrag lol.
Leslie, if you grow only one ...... than it must be one of the best clones of this cross ! 👌Lovely flower without any doubt and the clonal name is very appropriate !
.........The other side says to listen to folks that say Phrags are intolerant of fertiliser! But, I ask, if I am using distilled water, where are they getting nutrients from???
Of course do Phrags need nutrients but it is said they need a lower concentration than Paphs. Even running water in nature contains nutrients .... so if you water your Phrags only with distilled water will bring them sooner or later to suffering.

I’ve found that phrags like reasonable levels of feed, certainly as much as catts. However they also like really good quality water for flushing through. Ive starved mine in the past by giving them too low levels of nutrients.

Water quality is the key for sure and ppm and pH meters are essential to understand what is going on in our growing. Phragmipediums are not heavy feeders (200-300 ppm) every 2 or 3 watering depending on the concentration used. But they need to be feed regularly with a good source of fertilizer too.

Thanks everyone, for the suggestions. I usually use a weaker solution and have it in their regular watering. If that makes sense? Then I flush weekly. Is that method ok? I also leave water in the tray which is always cleaned up weekly as well. As for light levels, I have them in a south window

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back