Phragmipedium seed germination

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ernesto

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I finally got my sterile technique down and recently sowed my first Phrag seeds from the following crosses on P668 and coconut water:

(schlimii x manzurii) x self
211ADD39-0C05-44F6-9129-96622C09A290.jpeg
longifolium var. album x pearcei
4E59F97C-9D87-48C7-A389-287851C4F2DB.jpeg
pearcei x longifolium var. album
5B46C18C-0FF0-43D1-80E2-532770A73A13.jpeg

I have a few questions regarding germination. When can I expect seeds to germinate? Do Phrags require a dark period? And do they have a preferred temperature range? The schlimii x manzurii selfing seedpod was harvested early May, was sown 5/13/22 and still hasn’t done anything. Meanwhile my Neofinetia falcata flask sown 4/19/22 is now producing protocorms.DE9297BB-AA2A-4C29-8DB1-C88681E5A68A.jpeg

I recently moved all my flasks to my apartment where it is much warmer and brighter, which I’m hoping helps get things moving!

Depending on the species and the cross, some time they are fast and started to sprout within a month but usually take 2 to 3 months in my growing conditions. But in some case I had surprises after 9 moths with the long petals ones and because of that I’m always keeping the mother flask for a year before discarding them, just in case… No! Phragmipediums don’t need dark period to sprout. I’m keeping my growing chamber on 12 hours light/ day and I’m keeping the room between 21 to 25°C with good results. I’m not pushing their growing cycle… Hope it help! Good luck!

Depending on the species and the cross, some time they are fast and started to sprout within a month but usually take 2 to 3 months in my growing conditions. But in some case I had surprises after 9 moths with the long petals ones and because of that I’m always keeping the mother flask for a year before discarding them, just in case… No! Phragmipediums don’t need dark period to sprout. I’m keeping my growing chamber on 12 hours light/ day and I’m keeping the room between 21 to 25°C with good results. I’m not pushing their growing cycle… Hope it help! Good luck!
Thank you for thoughtful and thorough your response! I’ll hold onto these flasks for awhile then.

Latest posts

Back