Phragmipedium schlimii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarioQ

Reaction score
I bought it because it seems smells like roses. But no 😞 fragrance. It started to have black leaves tips on the first days. I read Phrags requires more watering and humidity than Paphs. Now it seems all is fixed, having new base growings and it had 2 flowers and a third is forming right now. It is so precious!

Attachments

• 40D84B91-4AF9-49CE-AEFE-0077A17C8DB4.jpeg
    40D84B91-4AF9-49CE-AEFE-0077A17C8DB4.jpeg
    151.6 KB · Views: 28
  • 18415DEB-D1D1-466C-BBFE-B097D9B513FD.jpeg
    18415DEB-D1D1-466C-BBFE-B097D9B513FD.jpeg
    163.7 KB · Views: 28
Also on the topic of the fragrance:

1. Some plants' flowers are more fragrant than others. Some are barely detectable, but most typical Phrag. schlimii are at least faintly scented. I find that a hybrid like Phrag. Hanne Popow is often more fragrant than a typical Phrag. schlimii. Not sure why. And it does vary in strength depending on the time of day.
2. Some people literally cannot smell this scent. Anecdotal, but it reminds me of the way some people love cilantro, while others experience it as having an unappealing taste/smell of soap. Or that chemical (don't remember which) that most people taste as bitter, but some people can't taste it at all.

How long did it take for the plant to settle in Mario?

I bought the bare root plant with a spike at the end of April and since then it had two flowers. I guess due the environment changing the black tips appeared, but now I see new growths between the basal leaves and stopped the black tips. A third button is forming.I really appreciate your culture tips and comments.

Thank you!

1. Some plants' flowers are more fragrant than others. Some are barely detectable, but most typical Phrag. schlimii are at least faintly scented. I find that a hybrid like Phrag. Hanne Popow is often more fragrant than a typical Phrag. schlimii. Not sure why. And it does vary in strength depending on the time of day.
2. Some people literally cannot smell this scent. Anecdotal, but it reminds me of the way some people love cilantro, while others experience it as having an unappealing taste/smell of soap. Or that chemical (don't remember which) that most people taste as bitter, but some people can't taste it at all.

Oh, yes are right. I think, I feel that I shouldn't be so desperate and wait for the plant to take its time and check on other bloomings. Anyway, the plant and flower is very cool!

Thank you for your lines! You are kind.

I once took a phrag, I think hanne popow to an orchid society meeting and asked people to smell it... Fully half the people smelled what I did (raspberry). The other half could detect no aroma at all. I am pretty convinced that the scent of schlimii hybrids is dependent both on the plant and the 'sniffer'.

Oh, yes are right. I think, I feel that I shouldn't be so desperate and wait for the plant to take its time and check on other bloomings. Anyway, the plant and flower is very cool!

Thank you for your lines! You are kind.

I once took a phrag, I think hanne popow to an orchid society meeting and asked people to smell it... Fully half the people smelled what I did (raspberry). The other half could detect no aroma at all. I am pretty convinced that the scent of schlimii hybrids is dependent both on the plant and the 'sniffer'.

Ok! Interesting experiment. It would be the first time that a smelling was not revealed to me, I smell everything, I am fond of fragrances and one of the things that rounds off the beauty of an orchid, is that it smells.

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back