Phragmipedium schlimii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrhappyrotter

Grand Chupacabra
Reaction score
I know I've posted this before, but I figured I'd share a couple pics of this season's first bloom.

I decided to experiment a bit with this plant, and moved it to one of the shadier shelves on my stands, growing right beside the parvies. It seems to be working out for the better. The leaves on the latest growth are so much wider now, and the growth over all is bigger and healthier than previous ones. There's a bit less leaf tip die back, as well. And finally, this plant is already starting to push out 2 (or maybe 3) new growths, where as it's always only ever put out 1 new growth at a time.

Anyway, it's hard to beat this species, and there's obviously a ton of very stiff competition in the genus Phragmipedium. The flowers are small, but brightly colored with a purple or pink pouch, spots, rose blush, and splashes of very bright yellow. To top it all off, it's fragrant, very pleasantly so at certain times of the day.

mpLhSMRl.jpg

5kQdLFhl.jpg

ek6F779l.jpg

Have you compared the two areas with a light meter to ascertain the difference?

Yeah, but I have a low-end (cheap) light meter and grow under fluorescents, two factors that pretty much make any actual numbers meaningless. Relatively speaking, the old growing spot is about 2 - 3 times brighter in terms of raw foot candles.

For me, it's easier to think of it in terms of what other plants do well in the two spots. In the higher light spot, I have multifloral paphs, oncids, succulents, cacti, bromeliads, and things of that nature. In the lower light spot, it's mostly parvies.

Good comparison, Mr. Rotter! I have a pretty good light meter, but there's
other aspects of a growing area to consider aside from what the light meter
tells me. I have a fairly new, four growth plant that hasn't bloomed yet, so
your experience might be a key to help me bloom it. Thank you!

Back