Phragmipedium Robert-Jan Quené and Fritz Schomburg at the Dresden Orchid Show 2023

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drorchid

Reaction score
A display by Franz Glanz of Phragmipedium Robert-Jan Quené and Fritz Schomburg at the Dresden Orchid Show 2023. Wow, those are probably the best Phragmipedium Robert-Jan Quené's I have seen thus far! Definitely an improvement over the Fritz Schomburg's that are in the same display. It is kind of what I was hoping for when I initially made the cross, to get an improved FS with more 'rounded' petals, and more saturation in color.338400956_942106990298270_3546802573780041254_n.jpg338408632_595895325781328_4443631321585129338_n.jpg
Robert

A display by Franz Glanz of Phragmipedium Robert-Jan Quené and Fritz Schomburg at the Dresden Orchid Show 2023. Wow, those are probably the best Phragmipedium Robert-Jan Quené's I have seen thus far! Definitely an improvement over the Fritz Schomburg's that are in the same display. It is kind of what I was hoping for when I initially made the cross, to get an improved FS with more 'rounded' petals, and more saturation in color.View attachment 39346View attachment 39347
Robert
Those are beautiful!

Do you have any information on the breeding lines / efforts used to produce the flowers? Perhaps they are the result of a selfing / sib cross?

The flowers of those Phragmipedium Robert-Jan Quené appear to be noticeably larger than the flowers of the Fritz Schomburg. One would assume that crossing Fritz back to besseae would result in a reduction of flower size. If I had not seen the labels and was asked to guess on the ID, I would have guessed something more along the lines of Phragmipedium Apollo.

They are gorgeous, of course, and it would really make me happy to have such nice Phrags in my collection. Granted, your namesake Phragmipedium Robert-Jan Quené is one of my favorite Phrag hybrids; I tend to prefer the more orange and besseae-like cultivars overall. It's hard to explain the happiness I get from seeing a giant, orange "besseae on steroids"!

did the orchid show use fluorescent lighting ?
the color seems to be on the cool side

Do you have any information on the breeding lines / efforts used to produce the flowers? Perhaps they are the result of a selfing / sib cross?

The flowers of those Phragmipedium Robert-Jan Quené appear to be noticeably larger than the flowers of the Fritz Schomburg. One would assume that crossing Fritz back to besseae would result in a reduction of flower size. If I had not seen the labels and was asked to guess on the ID, I would have guessed something more along the lines of Phragmipedium Apollo.

They are gorgeous, of course, and it would really make me happy to have such nice Phrags in my collection. Granted, your namesake Phragmipedium Robert-Jan Quené is one of my favorite Phrag hybrids; I tend to prefer the more orange and besseae-like cultivars overall. It's hard to explain the happiness I get from seeing a giant, orange "besseae on steroids"!
I unfortunately don't have any information about the breeding lines of these RJQ'S. My original cross indeed had flowers that were a lot smaller, but I used a 4n besseae, so my RJQ'S had a double dose of besseae so maybe that made the difference, but I agree with you that they resemble more a Phrag Apollo, or maybe a 4n Fritz Schomburg was used to make this cross.. it would be interesting to know what the genetic background is of these plants.

Robert

Last edited:
Back