Phragmipedium richteri x popowii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrhappyrotter

Grand Chupacabra
Reaction score
Labelled as Phragmipedium richteri x warscewiczianum, but with the recent taxonomic changes I think this is actually Phragmipedium richteri x popowii. I don't even know how the registration goes in terms of the hybrid name. Is this still considered to be Phrag. Predator?

Regardless of the correct nomenclature, this is an amazingly beautiful and remarkably compact growing Phrag. The darkness and richness of the brown and green flowers is what caught my attention, in combination with the stunning, long petals. I really love the dorsal sepal, I love the way it swoops over the pouch, and the veining on the outer side. It's a very intricate mixture of stripes and veins and spots. Sure it's not a vibrant orange color like besseae, but it makes up for that with character.

This plant has a number of large growths, and two spikes, with two flowers each. What I really love about this plant, and the main reason I could not pass it up, is its growth habit. The foliage is held fairly upright, and the plant tops out at right around 12" (~30 cm) tall. And as you can see, it carries very short spikes ... this is truly a Phrag that I can grow and bloom completely under the lights. Almost all the others have to be moved off the shelves at some point as they're blooming because the spikes grow so long. Not this one, though!

I can't take any credit for the blooms or the good growing. I decided to treat myself yesterday, and this was one of two plants I purchased. I was travelling the Blue Ridge Parkway, and on a whim I decided I wanted to take a break from hiking and go visit Looking Glass Orchids. I didn't know what to expect before I got there, but once I walked in, I was completely enamored by all the Paphs and Phrags, so many of which were in bloom. If my budget had allowed for more, I could have easily walked out of there with at least a dozen more plants. And Russ was very friendly and knowledgeable, so it was fun to chat about slippers with him. The sales greenhouse was huge and packed full of some really interesting species and hybrids. I wish I had thought to grab my camera to photograph all the beautiful things that were in bloom, but when phrag fever kicks in, it's not uncommon for me to completely loose track of everything else. LOL I'm definitely going back asap, even though it's a 5 or 6 hour drive away -- totally worth it.

ptfoKFnl.jpg

48iz25Jl.jpg

JhVIqoyl.jpg

3W1XQEJl.jpg

cwhwIswl.jpg

Yes, I love the pouch markings and the whole stance of
the bloom. The dorsal is very elegant...well actually the
whole flower is quite elegant.

Does Looking Glass sell online?

Does Looking Glass sell online?

I don't think so, not yet at least. But it sounds like that's in the works. I'm not 100% sure of the story, but Looking Glass is kind of an offshoot of Owen's, it's the greenhouse next door. He does a lot of wholesale, but I guess the retail side is done mainly through shows and walk-ins (like me). I'm so bad at remembering details when I'm in an orchid hunting frenzy.

I told him he should consider selling some of the "one or two of" stuff on Ebay if he doesn't mind the fees, so maybe some of the plants will show up there. I had to pass up the multiple Paph praestans that were in bloom, the stonei (or two), a Paph. Green Envy, and a half dozen really amazing besseae hybrids, including some Jason Fischers and similar deep red flowered hybrids. But I came home with this plant AND a six+ growth Mexipedium xerophyticum that I flat out told him I felt like I was stealing it for what I paid.

I was surprised at how much was in bloom this time of year. I don't even remember how many Delrosi he had in bloom or bud, I don't get to see that very often.

Latest posts

Back