Phragmipedium reticulatum first-bloomer

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
E

Ed M

This is a first-bloom seedling of Phrag. reticulatum. The species is native to Peru and Ecuador where it grows in rich mucky soil along rivers. Flower size is five and a half inches.

No it wouldn't! They are alomost the same plant except some minor differences. Crossing them would confuse people and wouldn't accomplish anything.

Nice plant Ed. I really like the waves on the edges of the petals and dorsal. To bad the plants are gigantic.

Kyle

I think Eric was joshing Kyle. ;) Yes, too bad the plants are gigantic. :(

Maybe I should breed it to Mexipedium??? ;)

Yes, too bad the plants are gigantic. :(

At least the flowers aren't :D Honestly, I like it lots. I was quite tempted to get one at a show earlier this year but the plant was gigantic....

Cheers, Carsten

(Happy with pearcei, caricinum, christiansenianum, longifolium var. gracile)

I think Eric was joshing Kyle. ;) Yes, too bad the plants are gigantic. :(

I don't know Ed, Eric can be a bit out there sometimes...

I just don't get why some people breed two nearly identical or closely related species together.

Kyle

It is stunning! Yes, too bad the plants are so big!

Ed, the soil that I found them growing in was very wet but I didn't find it very mucky...there was quite a bit of sand in it.

Kyle did you come across this species in your Peruvian travels?

Hi Ron,

Not in Peru, but I saw it in Ecuador. Unfortunatly, the pictures I took were horrible. I never checked to see if they were in focus until we left the spot. I'll look at them again to see if they are worth posting.

Kyle

Pictures can be decieving, my first thought was what a cute little thing!:rollhappy:

To bad the plants are gigantic.

Kyle

Please elaborate. I assumed they would be large, but gigantic? This is probably relative. Is it bigger than longifolium or sargentianum or any of the caudatum group? I may have to cancel my Ecuagenera order!

This one is smaller than either my longifolium or sargentianum, its really not "gigantic."

Back