Phragmipedium Pots

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm a watcher of Ed's Orchids and he uses "rose pots" for his phrags.
I found these pots ( https://elixirgardensupplies.co.uk/product/deep-rose-pots-12347-litre-quality-plastic-plant-pot/) , but no matter where I find them, they only ship to the UK and nearby.

I live in the states and want some nice tall slender pots that aren't massive. I got a tall pot made for cymbidiums and it is 3 liters. Much too big for my plants right now. 1 or 2 liter would be ideal.

Anyone know where to source these pots in the states?

I'd also just like to know what pots you guys use. Pictures encouraged!

Are you getting them because you like the way they look or are you getting them because you think they have some advantage over standard sized pots? Personally, I've been growing Phrags quite successfully without any special pots so if you can't find anything suitable, I wouldn't worry about it. I mostly ask because I know of that YouTuber, and while he's nice enough, like most personalities on there, he also disseminates a lot of misinformation, so I want to make sure you're not chasing unicorns based on something that he's said which may not be factual or necessary.

As for my "tall pot" solution, I'm a big fan of reusing my own plastic waste, but I know that's not for everybody. However, some of my favorite pots are those tall plastic cylinders that certain cleaning wipes (Lysol, Chlorox, etc) come in. Another favorite of mine are those rubbing alcohol and hydrogen peroxide bottles. All I do with these things is trim the top off with a razor blade, then poke holes in the bottom.

Although my experience with repotme has been disappointing, others rave about it. I just checked their site and I'm seeing different deep pot options (aka Paph pots on that site) that are taller than they are wide, so that may be a good option in the USA if you can't find them elsewhere.

I've found that (for me), I get better growth in a shallower, wider pot. Think azaelia pot. But I grow them in any old pot, it doesn't seem to matter. Bulb pans work great.

Now seedlings (paphs and phrags), I'm pretty stuck on 2.25" 'rose' pots. McConkey. Which are harder to find than unicorn horns these days.

When I want a taller pot, I usually use white “Active Aqua” pots, which I buy from Morgan County Seeds. (They also have Yara Liva Calcinit, BTW). From the local Dollar store, I’ve also gotten tall vases and drilled holes. Here’s a photo those two, plus a recycled pot from the garden center’s bin.

Attachments

• A79C9538-D875-400A-90EB-FCAC64018679.jpeg
    A79C9538-D875-400A-90EB-FCAC64018679.jpeg
    102 KB · Views: 36
I agree with others. I don’t think that the shape of the pots is particularly important for phrags. When a plants is big and tall they do look good in tall pots with the leaves to hanging down to near the base of the pot.
David

I use good ole clay pots from Lowes and drill holes
in the sides. Sometimes Lowes stocks clay (unglazed)
pots with holes already in them. They're cheap,
reusable with cleaning and come in an enormous
selection of sizes.

I'm with @mrhappyrotter in that using the size of the pot necessary for the root system works for me. When i was growing in the rose pots, the roots filled the pot nicely, but every plant i put in there wanted to maintain that aspect ratio as it grew on. So out of necessity, i've reverted to the standard seedling pots, and graduated through the 3" square, etc. and tried to stay in the azalea pots after they grow to 6" or at worst just to move to nursery containers which are easy to find as left overs. i included the rose pots i had (a really deep one and a shorter one -but still deeper than typical pots for comparison. Having a good transition plan from the last black pot on the right to the next siz has always been a challenge. Tindara had some great 5" diameter pots that were taller than wide, but alas they appear to have ceased operations. Chulaorchids has a great selection, especially if you like clear pots, and need a lot of them.

Having a good pot plan and inventory seems to be a tricky thing to establish ;-).

20191025_093317.jpg

Thanks guys

I think I may decide to go with the Rand’s aircone pots since they seem to be quite good for phrags and come in a variety of sizes, so upgrading them to larger pots should be easy!

I like consistency, so all my pots looking the same would make me happy :)

Besides, it would probably be best to have clear pots since I can monitor the media and roots that way.

I really like those super clear pots though.. dang they dont come in the correct sizes for my plants right now

Hate to say this (since you appear to be on a path...) but i tried what you are proposing... pretty quickly figured out that the sizes they offer weren't what suited my situation... if you grow everything from small seedling, they may work for you... but as soon as you buy a plant grown in one of the pot types i pictured, and you want to move it into one of the rand aircone pots, you end up wrestling with the overall volume of the pot versus the height. although the pots look similar, getting the plant that looks like it should fit easily, into the pot wasn't so easy and I was forced to the next size to comfortably pot the plant. Many times that 'next size' over pots the plant... ( i took a photo including the rand pots in the pict for reference)

pots (2).jpg

I'm just saying this so that you recognize your risk, and aren't later thinking... "wow that plan looked great on paper."

Anyway others can certainly chime in with their experience getting to a pot inventory approach.

(i typically over think things, and this one is no exception :) )

Last edited:
Rob (littlefrog), for 2 1/2" McConkey I'd call Charley's Greenhouse Supply in Mt. Vernon, WA (or have me get you some). I'll have to check mine to see if they are really McConkey, but given that McConkey is a regional company, highly likely. They are clear. Charley always has supply of these. I expect you could get them by the case, or your company could order them perhaps directly from McConkey.

McConkey had them on 'back order' for about two years, and now doesn't even list that size. I must not have bought enough. I'll check out Charley's. Chula Vista still has some similar, although I thought they had gone out of business... Website looks up to date. Seems a long way to ship them, but I haven't found anything near MI.

I have a question about plastic pots. I have many
very large Phrags. and I doubt that plastic pots
will stay upright on my gh benches. Has anyone
else experienced "falling over" using plastic pots?

Chula Vista still has some similar, although I thought they had gone out of business... Website looks up to date. Seems a long way to ship them, but I haven't found anything near MI.
Rob, when Harry died, his son took over the business. Yeah, it is a long distance and costly shipping process, but if you gotta have 'em... Many years back, Harry bought a bunch of McConkey blow molds so he could have clear pots produced, but that also meant he had to have a bunch manufactured. I'll bet his son is still working off that inventory.

I have a question about plastic pots. I have many very large Phrags. and I doubt that plastic pots will stay upright on my gh benches. Has anyone else experienced "falling over" using plastic pots?
Angela - the key is a broad base. You haven't had "fun" until you've toppled a semi-hydro pot onto the kitchen floor... I've gone as far as putting a sheet of rigid plexiglass under the pot with wires that hooked over the pot rim to stabilize it.

Hate to say this (since you appear to be on a path...) but i tried what you are proposing... pretty quickly figured out that the sizes they offer weren't what suited my situation... if you grow everything from small seedling, they may work for you... but as soon as you buy a plant grown in one of the pot types i pictured, and you want to move it into one of the rand aircone pots, you end up wrestling with the overall volume of the pot versus the height. although the pots look similar, getting the plant that looks like it should fit easily, into the pot wasn't so easy and I was forced to the next size to comfortably pot the plant. Many times that 'next size' over pots the plant... ( i took a photo including the rand pots in the pict for reference)

View attachment 16817

I'm just saying this so that you recognize your risk, and aren't later thinking... "wow that plan looked great on paper."

Anyway others can certainly chime in with their experience getting to a pot inventory approach.

(i typically over think things, and this one is no exception :) )

Thanks for the heads up, rich!
I just ordered some aircone pots anyways just so that I can see them in person. I’ll probably still try to to use them, since I like the look and function, but I can see the struggle of repotting them... lol

About McConkey, I found some decent pots online manufactured by them, but they sell them in cases of 120 for an appropriate size pot. Seems like a good deal for a greenhouse grower, but not me.

I have a question about plastic pots. I have many
very large Phrags. and I doubt that plastic pots
will stay upright on my gh benches. Has anyone
else experienced "falling over" using plastic pots?
I have had issues with tipping on mainly Phalaenopsis pots because of the large leaves weighing down one side. And the lightweight bark medium does not help hold it down especially when dry. What I found helps is to just get some river rock and put a few heavy pebbles on the bottom of the pot to help distribute mass to the base.
For phrags and other wet feet orchid species, keeping them moist helps add weight to the pot

Interesting thread. Thanks for the info. Many people here would end up in hospitals if they saw the contraptions we have cobbled together and called "pots" here in NYC.

Awesome news about Chula, it is a great source of lots of stuff...

I put all my small pots in trays. The trick is finding a tray that supports the pot... :) But they don't tip because the tray holds them up.

I have started using these for my plants:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gro-Pro-Plastic-Heavy-Duty-Mesh-Net-Pots-hydroponics-pot-aeroponics-grow-plant/121190911231?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&var=420181149393&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I had planned to go with air-cones all the way but after trying a few plants in the plastic mesh pots I was impressed enough to keep working with these. It doesn't matter how wet the medium is, the roots stay nice and aerated and the plants seem happy.

I have a bunch of these that someone can have for free. I get these when I get aquatic plants for my aquarium. They are small, though (I think 2"). I can bring them to the next Paph Forum.

I have started using these for my plants:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gro-Pro-Plastic-Heavy-Duty-Mesh-Net-Pots-hydroponics-pot-aeroponics-grow-plant/121190911231?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&var=420181149393&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I had planned to go with air-cones all the way but after trying a few plants in the plastic mesh pots I was impressed enough to keep working with these. It doesn't matter how wet the medium is, the roots stay nice and aerated and the plants seem happy.
Tyrone, how do you deal with the phrag roots in a pot like that? Do they ever grow out of the basket? Do they get stuck when trying to repot? Do you sit them in water?

I may try these pots in the future

Latest posts

Back