Phragmipedium Pink Panther (schlimii 'Pink Ice' x fischeri 'Tony')

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is todays new flower (quick phone picture, no high quality) on the second growth from that plant. Too bad the other flower from the different growth dropped 2 days ago... no duet for the picture :cool:
IMG_7330.JPG

It is not the species Phrag schlimii. It is a cross between it and Phrag fischeri which is called Pink Panther ;)

Fischer ia a synonym of schlimii. As described fischeri doesn't, and never existed in nature. Your plant, in fact all Pink Panthers, are crosses between two different forms of schlimii.

I respectfully refer all to the year end Phragmipedium edition of the Orchid Digest as well as a two part article on the names associated with schlimii coming later this year.

Kind regards,

There is a joint Paph Guild/Paph forum virtual speakers day a week from Saturday, March 20th. I will be giving a lecture on Phrag. schlimii and I encourage anyone who still thinks fischeri is a species to attend. I do a deep dive into the name and natural populations throughout Colombia.

Best,

There is a joint Paph Guild/Paph forum virtual speakers day a week from Saturday, March 20th. I will be giving a lecture on Phrag. schlimii and I encourage anyone who still thinks fischeri is a species to attend. I do a deep dive into the name and natural populations throughout Colombia.

Best,
Thank you Frank for your clarification. Sor)ry about my initital answer, I didn't realize who you were (🤭) and I was not aware of any change in taxonomy. I am keeping the original name given by the breeder (Woodstream Orchids)but I will put a note somewhere to remember.

Thank you Frank for your clarification. Sor)ry about my initital answer, I didn't realize who you were (🤭) and I was not aware of any change in taxonomy. I am keeping the original name given by the breeder (Woodstream Orchids)but I will put a note somewhere to remember.

The change in taxonomy for all of the names associated with schlimii is recent, and will be finalized in a two part article in the Orchid Digest this year. This species got out of hand, and to be honest, ridiculous, very quickly. Schlimii went from one variable species after 150 years to 8 different names in a 25 year period. Schlimii, like all species of phragmjpedium, is an ochlospecies. "Ochlo" is derived from the greek word which means "irregular crown or mob", and that does sum up schlimii and every other species in the genus. I do expect some pushback, especially from those who profit from a lot of different names, but this is and has been, expected.

I was considering putting up a post to give readers here a peak at the upcoming work and research done in support of the reclassifications, however I have had some bad experiences with this site over the years. There always seems to be a small minority of members who come and go, who insult, degrade, and demean other members and I have chosen to not to post much over the years.

We should always keep the original tags. They are part of the history of a plant and as silly as this sounds I cherish some of my old tags as much as the plants. I still have tags from sellers dating back to the 1980's. Even if the plant died, I kept the tag. What I do in a situation like this is just put a new tag in behind or in front of the old tag and put a date and some relevant information on it and leave it like that.

Woodstream is one of the better sources for phrag hybrids. I have known Bill for well over 20 years and readily refer most of the people who ask me for a source to him, especially for hybrids. I got my Dick Clements from him as well as a few other phrags and epidendrums over the years and I am always very happy with what I receive. Even if you, me, or anyone else disagrees as to what the correct name is for a plant, Bill sells quality plants.

Best regards,

Latest posts

Back