Phragmipedium Mayling Nielsen

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrhappyrotter

Grand Chupacabra
Reaction score
Phragmipedium Mayling Nielsen (wallisii x Conchiferum)

This is a fairly common hybrid, and deservedly so. This is one of my most vigorous Phrags, it blooms year round and has been problem free. In fact, this is the follow-up spike to its winter blooming, where it produced 3 spikes. These spikes are semi-sequential, and typically produce 4 - 5 blooms each. This particular clone is more colorful than most.

I grow this bright and wet. Often times with hybrids involving P. caudatum and its close relatives (like wallisii now reclassified as P. warscewiczianum which was the former name of the dark flowered species now known as P. humboldtii, confusing I know) you have to experiment a bit with water requirements. If they're crossed with water loving species or hybrids, they usually also turn out to be water loving, but some clones need to be grown a bit drier, like a Paphiopedilum. All that aside, I keep this moist year round and grow it with water in the saucer at all times. They like moderate temperatures, though they are heat tolerant. I grow this indoors under T8 replacement LED shop lights.

The petals on these are very long (10+ inches / 25+ cm). The petals continue to grow for quite awhile after the flowers open. It makes for a really stunning display.

u1vJ41ol.jpg

NASWbbql.jpg

Tsdw18xl.jpg

sn7TdqCl.jpg

Latest posts

Back