phragmipedium manzurii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting, thanks for bringing it to our attention.

Looks kinda like a schlimii hybrid, or could be Phragmipedium schlimii f. albiflorum.

Kyle

Hmmm; I had just taken it as a fact that this was a new species and not a hybrid. Obviously, it's related to schlimii and fischeri. I'd really like to learn more about this one and see more photos.

That is interesting! I does look like a Phrag. schlimii with rounder staminode.

Ramon:)

According to PhragWeb, schlimii f. albiflorum is all white with just a bit of pink in the centre of the flower and the staminode remains yellow with the 2 normal purple/red spots at the bottom. The Phrag. manzurii in the photo is not white, it's yellow. It's got more than a little pink in the centre and the staminode has no purple/red spots. The photo is not clear; so, it's really impossible for any of us to say; but, I'd really like to see more photos and learn what Olaf thinks. It's seems to be as different from schlimii as fischeri is different from schlimii.....and fischeri is widely accepted as a valid species.

I had the good luck to get 2 pictures more, but it is difficult to decide on this base, if it is really a new species, a variety of schlimii or andreettae or the hybrid between. It looks different to schlimii in the staminode and the leaves for the first view.
But let us wait at first for more informations and the official description.

Best greetings

Olaf

I had the good luck to get 2 pictures more, but it is difficult to decide on this base, if it is really a new species, a variety of schlimii or andreettae or the hybrid between. It looks different to schlimii in the staminode and the leaves for the first view.
But let us wait at first for more informations and the official description.

Best greetings

Olaf
I was wondering about it's connection to andreettae, also. It sure is cute, whatever it is. And of course, I need one badly!

I don't think its very closely related to andreettea. Color and shape don't resemble andreettea at all. Closest to schlimii.

Kyle

I got word last night from a friend, he is working on buying two flasks (from whom ever). His plan is to send them to Hawaii to compot out. We'll see what we see.

I too think it is probably a variety or a form of schlimii. The staminodal shield looks more like a schlimii than a fischeri. We have had 2 clones of schlimii that also had some yellow pigments in the flowers, I think this "manzurii" is more extreme and has even more yellow pigments, so I would call it the "flavum" form of schlimii, but what ever it is I do like it, and I think it could be useful for breeding yellow phrags.

Our 2 clones of schlimii with yellow pigments:
Phrag. schlimii 'Golden Halo' had some yellow pigments in the petals and on the outside rim of the pouch:
PhragschlimiiGoldenHalo6302006.jpg

Phrag. schlimii 'Yellow Heart' with yellow pigments in the pouch:
PhragschlimiiYellowHeart942008-1.jpg

PhragschlimiiYellowHeart-close-9-1.jpg

Robert

being described in Lankesteriana 8 (1)

The description is in the galley proof stage. It will go to print soon in Lankesteriana. Phrag mazurii is being described by Wesley E. Higgins & Paula Viveros. It seems Selby learned from the kovachii disaster - Paula was sent down to Columbia to examine specimens in situ and the herbarium specimens are deposited in the herbarium at Universidad de Caldas.

David Manzur collected plants in Antioquia, Colombia, several years ago. He is the author of several articles on the varieties of Milt. vexillaria growing in Colombia. He also collects Phrags from the various regions of Colombia. He showed Paula 8 speciemens of this new plant in bloom and took her to the collection area.

The fact that the type location is known, not just a sport found in cultivation, and that 8 different clones were examined in Colombia all lend solid support that this is a new species. The photos in Lankesteriana show a flower that definitely looks different than shlimii. The dorsal & petals are very green in the disected specimen. The gestalt is very different.

I think it is a good species, and it will stand. I think it is more different from schlimii than fisherii is different from schlimii. Though clearly it is in the same sub-genera as schlimii.

Leo

Latest posts

Back