Phragmipedium longifolium

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrhappyrotter

Grand Chupacabra
Reaction score
Phragmipedium longifolium

I bought this plant as a small seedling a couple of years ago and it hasn't skipped a beat in all that time. It's a very vigorous plant. I keep it sitting in water at all times, using a rockwool based potting media. The plant is currently in a 6" pot with one mature growth, and one pup that's about a year to a year and a half away from blooming. I don't feed very heavily, but this is one that would probably appreciate slightly higher feeding rates than I've been applying, simply by virtue of how quickly it grows.

When it was younger, I used to be able to give it fairly bright light under the shelves, but as it approached adult size, it's become harder and harder to fit it under there. Last winter I moved it next to the sliding glass door that gets an obstructed northeast exposure. That meant very bright light for less than 1 hour in the morning, and then very shady conditions the rest of the day. This summer, it's been sitting between the light shelves, but close to a window as well. Overall, it seems to tolerate shadier conditions than I thought it would.

Growing indoors, it gets warm temperatures year round, though I suppose last winter it would have experienced some cool nights sitting next to the door.

This spike has taken a while to develop. I don't recall exactly when I first noticed it, but I believe it was back in June (perhaps even earlier). This morning I noticed that the bud was ballooning out quite rapidly, even compared to the day before. I decided to snap a few shots of the beautiful bud.

DcIwvJEl.jpg

TeMinoSl.jpg

Of course, I went back into the grow area a few hours after the initial bud photos, and surprise, surprise, the bud had begun to open.

nR1fNzXl.jpg

iWUKGAel.jpg

Overall, if you're in the market for your first phrag, and you have the space, this seems like a good one for beginners. This plant hasn't been fussy at all. Once it gets some growths and age on it, a species like this can often maintain at least one of the sequentially opening flowers year round. Even better, if you are limited on space, there are compact varieties available.

Will you post a picture of the whole plant when it's fully
open please? I've been considering buying one and I'd
love to see how big a mature plant is...and if I have room
for one on my Phrag. bench.

Will you post a picture of the whole plant when it's fully open please?

It's not fully open yet, but I thought I'd post now before I forget. The individual leaves are around 27" - 29" (69 - 75 cm). Once they achieve some height, they appear to start flopping over, so it looks a lot like a cymbidium sans pseudobulb. The spike itself is roughly the same height as the leaves are long, and over time it will get taller. Since this is a first bloom, I don't think the spike will reach its full, tall potential.

RgMqtMkl.jpg

Great plant and thank you for the whole plant pic and the measurements. I've been interested in this species but that's just too big for me, unfortunately.

I snapped a couple more photos now that the flower is opening up and expanding.

Aei7jyPl.jpg

MWcDtG5l.jpg

It's doing a slow motion dance for me as the petals twist and elongate.

Yeah, it's definitely a big one, and I really don't have the room either. However, if it's okay with living out its life getting by without having to sit on the light stand, then I can squeeze it in. I just like having this species around.

Latest posts

Back