Phragmipedium Laurie-Lei Quintal

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrhappyrotter

Grand Chupacabra
Reaction score
Mislabeled Phragmipedium

Update: I can't change the title, but based on members' feedback, this is not LLQ, and is mislabeled.

I've had this for a few years. The first spike blasted before I got to see any flowers. Then last summer it bloomed, but the first two flowers were hideously deformed so I cut the spike. I saw enough potential, though, that I opted to give it one more try, and I'm glad I did.

It's not fully open yet, but I love the color on it. The only improvement I'd make on the color is that I'd like the yellow to be more intense on the lip and staminode. Since it's still opening, I'm not sure how the shape will turn out, but even if it doesn't change much, I'm fine with the way it looks now. The lip is wonderful. I love the stripes, and what you can't see (due to my crappy camera and photography) is the abundant, large, translucent windows on the sides of the pouch. Really interesting.

I almost had to check if this has malipoense in its background (ha), since its spikes take a couple months or more to develop and are proportionately quite tall. Unfortunately no branching.

Natural spread is about 3 1/4 inches (8 cm). It's a small-medium size plant overall, and not particularly tall, so it fits well under the lights until it's in spike.

GHsr0Dcl.jpg

FdgEywEl.jpg

Rz0Uzpvl.jpg

C5hHZDfl.jpg

rRjLp1vl.jpg

I'm probably jinxing it, but I think the newest growth may be planning to spike up soon.

Last edited:
Ummm.. Not Laurie-Lei Quintal, sorry. Go to the gallery on the Quintal Farms website.

I think it's a reasonable outcome for an LLQ. It's got the kovachii central dorsal crease, and while the color and form are somewhat heavily influenced by dalessandroi, there's still some schlimii or similar in the background as evidenced by the partially bi-color petals.

There's also another photo of this hybrid on here, Silvan's plant, that looks pretty similar to my plant, at least I think it does. I agree, that my plant's flower looks very different from the Quintal photo of it. They're probably using one of the better quality flowers for that photo.

That being said, I wouldn't stake my life on it being an LLQ, either. LOL I might stake $5 on it, though.

Llq?

Sorry but I'm with Eric on this one.
Gut feeling is that the cross is wrong.
I love the colour but would have expected a much fuller shape.
It may be influenced by the vigour of the plant.
Can you post an 'Eric' photo of the whole plant?
Thanks

David

Flower heavily influenced by d'alessandroi, but plant looks like a PK? Interesting outcome I would say

I've updated the post as best I can to reflect the mislabeling.

Although I'm disappointed that I now have invested several years growing a moderately expensive NOID, I do at least like the cheery color. Also learned not to buy anything from this vendor unless it's cheap or there's a photo of the plant in bloom.

Thank you for the shot of the back. I've not seen enough kov. hybrids
or species to recognize the characteristic.

I've really only seen it in PK hybrids, but when I was looking at photos of Jersey (based on MorandiWine's suggestion), I saw some clones that have it as well, so it may not be just a PK thing. Of course, hard to tell if the Google image search photos are properly identified.

I've updated the post as best I can to reflect the mislabeling.

Although I'm disappointed that I now have invested several years growing a moderately expensive NOID, I do at least like the cheery color. Also learned not to buy anything from this vendor unless it's cheap or there's a photo of the plant in bloom.

Who's the vendor?

Who's the vendor?

The plant came from Seattle Orchids several years ago. It is one of the very first plants I ever purchased from them. This is not the only orchid I've purchased from them that appears to be mislabeled, though.

Since I didn't buy this directly from Quintal, I can't be certain that this is a QF mix-up. However, mirroring what some others have mentioned, I have purchased other plants with QF tags in them that were seemingly mislabeled, so I am seeing a pattern.

I know that mistakes happen, but assuming that this plant is mislabeled, and considering that these two sources are implicated in similar experiences for me, I'm choosing to play it safe. I'm not saying I will never buy another plant from them, but I'll certainly be hesitant about it unless the plant is very cheap & I don't care about its ID and/or I've seen it in bloom.

LOL. I have to dig up my LLQ I got from Seattle Orchid. Looks totally different. She is in spike again but blasted last time so I am nervous.

I am blown away SO is still around, but it goes to show you how strong a presence is when you are the sole presence.

LOL. I have to dig up my LLQ I got from Seattle Orchid. Looks totally different. She is in spike again but blasted last time so I am nervous.

I am blown away SO is still around, but it goes to show you how strong a presence is when you are the sole presence.

I will say, I have gotten some good plants from both Seattle Orchids and indirectly from Quintal Farms. It's just that this particular plant is particularly disappointing for me in terms of time and financial investment, so my confidence in these sources is very low now.

Back