Phragmipedium kovachii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Birgit

Reaction score
The first flowering from this young kovachii.
Gorgeous and very intense colors.
A second flower is slowlyyyyyy approaching.
Happy New Year 2022:)

Attachments

• IMG_2246.jpeg
    IMG_2246.jpeg
    85.1 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_2258.jpeg
    IMG_2258.jpeg
    107.3 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_2259.jpeg
    IMG_2259.jpeg
    126.6 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_2249.jpeg
    IMG_2249.jpeg
    139.9 KB · Views: 36
The first flowering from this young kovachii.
Gorgeous and very intense colors.
A second flower is slowlyyyyyy approaching.
Happy New Year 2022:)
Happy new year!
Love the kovachiis, this one seems not young! Stunning bloom if you have another bud incoming

Happy new year!
Love the kovachiis, this one seems not young! Stunning bloom if you have another bud incoming
Thank you! It is relatively young, at least my youngest one:cool:
My elder kovachii is taking it very easy this year. Flowers are on the way, but not nearly as advanced as, "my youngest plant".
The picture is from last year.

Attachments

• IMG_1200.jpeg
    IMG_1200.jpeg
    194.3 KB · Views: 43
Thank you! It is relatively young, at least my youngest one:cool:
My elder kovachii is taking it very easy this year. Flowers are on the way, but not nearly as advanced as, "my youngest plant".
The picture is from last year.
Spectacular!!👏👏👏 very nice culture, congrast!!

I use rain (TDS 6-10) or RO water always. TDS incl. what ever fertilizer never higher than 30-40. It's in an ebb and flow system, watered twice a day.

I’m having the most difficult time trying to get a few of mine through the blooming process. Two are in spike, but seem to be ‘stalled’ in growth and the spike is hanging out at the base of the leaf axis, refusing to emerge.

Do you have a specific / different fertilizer that you use throughout the blooming cycle? I feed lightly @25-40ppm (a balanced bloom booster this time of year that has lower nitrogen) and water heavily every evening with a hose of RO. Maybe they are still immature plants… or maybe the spikes take a long time to mature and I am impatient. Possible they are intolerant of my overall conditions.

I appreciate and I am inspired by your posts on kovachii. Thanks for continuing to share your success.

Do you have a specific / different fertilizer that you use throughout the blooming cycle? I feed lightly @25-40ppm (a balanced bloom booster this time of year that has lower nitrogen) and water heavily every evening with a hose of RO.
Changing the formula of fertilizer does not make it a “bloom booster”.

If you feed at a constant amount-per-volume, switching fertilizers is one way to the nitrogen - a teaspoon of a 10-15-10 has half the nitrogen of a teaspoon of a 20-10-15 formula - but simply reducing the amount of one formula achieves the same thing.

The key to orchid nutrition is providing the proper mass of nitrogen - enough to grow well, but not so much that it quashes blooming. I don’t see any slipper as needing the kind of “rest” that stuff like catasetinae or some dendrobiums require, so as @Birgit stated, a pretty constant treatment with lots of water an frequent, very dilute fertilizer seems appropriate, especially if you consider that mimics the conditions in the natural habitat quite well.

Changing the formula of fertilizer does not make it a “bloom booster”.

If you feed at a constant amount-per-volume, switching fertilizers is one way to the nitrogen - a teaspoon of a 10-15-10 has half the nitrogen of a teaspoon of a 20-10-15 formula - but simply reducing the amount of one formula achieves the same thing.

The key to orchid nutrition is providing the proper mass of nitrogen - enough to grow well, but not so much that it quashes blooming. I don’t see any slipper as needing the kind of “rest” that stuff like catasetinae or some dendrobiums require, so as @Birgit stated, a pretty constant treatment with lots of water an frequent, very dilute fertilizer seems appropriate, especially if you consider that mimics the conditions in the natural habitat quite well.
Temperature? Read that it's a cool grower.

Back