Phragmipedium kovachii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JPMC

Reaction score
Finally, I can say that I am able to grow and bloom two phragmipediums: andreettae and kovachii. All others I have tried have died a slow death. The kovachii just opened its flower yesterday and I decided to document the full opening as it progresses. The plant is about 18 inches tall and wide . The flower is currently 4.5 inches wide, but it was 3.5 inches wide yesterday. I wonder how big it will get? I can say that under my warm indoor conditions, it is easy to grow and in fact grows VERY rapidly. I bought this from Orchids Limited in 2007 or 2008, as I recall, as a seedling that was about 10 inches across. It makes 1-2 growths per year.

Phragmipediumkovachiiflower04-01-2012.jpg
[/IMG]

Phragmipediumkovachiiplant04-01-2012.jpg
[/IMG]

wow more great growing and looks like a good clone...care to share any culture secrets on this one as well?

Wow! Kovachii and andrettea, the biggest and the little-est--and you can grow and bloom them both. That is great, and I am jealous!

Wow! Kovachii and andrettea, the biggest and the little-est--and you can grow and bloom them both. That is great, and I am jealous!

Ditto :) specially as andrettea is supposed to be quite difficult... At least that's what I have been told after killing two plants...

wow more great growing and looks like a good clone...care to share any culture secrets on this one as well?

No secrets. I grow it in a 50/50 mix of perlite and supersphag in a clay pot. It is watered often enough to keep it wet. I don't let it sit in water though. I fertilize weakly weekly with a urea-free fertilizer. It gets typical paph light (for me that's about 2-3 feet from a 4 foot T5 light with 4 tubes in the fixture). The winter temps are 60F at night and 80F in the day. Summer temps are about 10 degrees higher.

This is growing warm!? What are your max/min temps throughout the year?

About 60F at night in winter and 80F in the winter days. Summer temps are about 10F higher. I also grow in a clay pot wioth wet growing medium. I suspect that the evaporation may cool the roots.

Latest posts

Back