Phragmipedium kovachii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very well, but I am still interested in knowing what it is being grown in as it looks very happy.

On limestone hills in the forest some weeks ago for that one... :D When they are carefully collected, they look like that.

If you look at the pot side too, the plant did not root in its media, because it is very freshly repotted - september, correct ???

Other than that, kovachii grows very well in many media, the key problem is to keep the pH a bit up, if you grow it in a mix with some degraded limestone - loess type - the plants are thriving fast and well.

I know this harks back to the plant nutrition thread, but is it specifically the pH that is critical, or is it the presence of abundant Ca (and Mg, probably)?

When I was at Perufloras greenhouses in 2005 they had compots of hybrids and pure species. I've posted photos in the past.

I've seen paperwork from peru for plants.

I agree these plants being offered are huge, but just stating what I've seen with my own eyes,

Kyle

When I was at Perufloras greenhouses in 2005 they had compots of hybrids and pure species. I've posted photos in the past.

I've seen paperwork from peru for plants.

I agree these plants being offered are huge, but just stating what I've seen with my own eyes,

Kyle

That's always the problem between seeing and the truth in the orchid world...

Officially Paphiopedilum sanderianum, Paphiopedilum rothschildianum, Phragmipedium kovachii and more are 'extinct'. In fact, they are still very common and plentiful in the wild - as of today, but for sure not tomorrow.

They are very cheap to buy from the local people too.

After the flask amazing profit, and a little profit selling young cultivated kovachii, now comes the time of the plant profit. Triple gain for the same individuals, and it is not a slim one.

If you want to know maybe more about kovachii, you could ask Mr. Isaias Rolando about what was exactly going on or maybe not :D

It is the first time since the Victorian era that so much profit has been generated by an individual with a single species. Kovachii is definitely not rarer than besseae or pearcei even. It's not because the flower is huge and impressive that it must be rare in the wild. The rarity and all the story about it has been carefully arranged and scheduled, congrats.

Now come the time of the kovachii bought 2-3USD from the local people and sold 50-100. Not bad. I just imagine the poor honest people who bought those 1040USD flasks, and have near blooming size plants as of now that costed them 50USD-100USD to grow and raise, including the losses. How many will say 'never again with that scam' ? Good question.

What I know, and the calculations are very clear, is that the people involved in kovachii in Peru earned some hundreds thousands USD of profit, and they have some more hundreds of thousands of USD on the way, because they have a large supply of mature blooming size kovachii to cut down the competitors that are just starting to bloom their kovachii from flask for the last few months to a year. They have been the first to sell the flasks and make really huge profit, they are the first to make a huge profit selling the plants before anyone else.

In september, Arias sold more than 50.000USD of phrag kovachii blooming size, in cash. So much for those poor farmers...

That's why I said 'maybe not'. I don't think someone is crazy enough to go to Peru to get hardcore proofs about how much the kovachii trade is worth, and how big the scam is, unless he wants to commit suicide.

He was not wise to try to understand exactly what was behind the kovachii story...

Anyway, I think people are not interested and just want to see the smoke screen of poor nurseries struggling to earn a few US. They don't want to hear that a scam brought to their perpetrators some hundreds thousands US.

That's why I said 'maybe not'. I don't think someone is crazy enough to go to Peru to get hardcore proofs about how much the kovachii trade is worth, and how big the scam is, unless he wants to commit suicide.

He was not wise to try to understand exactly what was behind the kovachii story...

sorry for the missunderstanding, but in that case, IMO, the 'big grin' is too ambiguous!
As, 'pour le fond', of what you are saying, I think I got it :eek::eek:!!! Jean

Latest posts

Back