Phragmipedium kovachii 'Franz'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But there is no colony with deformed blooms. I don't believe that, never.

Definitely there is no colony with deformed blooms... but the stress of collection and the antibiotics that are required to prevent them from getting pseudomonas after collection can make this kind of deformed blooms. It was a known problem with amoxicillin that was used to avoid Paph. praestans from rotting, and Phrag besseae. Most plants settle to normal after they make a new growth, but some Phrag. besseae never ever did, even after a decade, and the blooms are forever crippled. Let's see another blooming.

Why the Award? Brave guess: ..

The DOG gys didn't realize it as a bloom deformation. In addition I fear that Olaf Gruss would like to describe a new forma of Phrag kovachii.

I agree with Roth.

Thalidomide disaster or Agent Orange disaster ?

Last edited:
I thought that was pretty funny too. I am waiting to hear Roth's response. I have a good idea what it will be though.

The issue is the word "legal". What exactly does that mean? I was with another STF person when I glanced at the paperwork with the hangianum seedlings at the WOC in Miami!

BTW, I was in Taneytown MD, yesterday. :)

Eric, I am not sure where that is in Maryland but I live in the Northeast corner by Delaware and PA. If you came all the way from New York it wouldn't be that much further to drive to Rising Sun. Maybe a little heads up next time.

Forget the hangianum, I want to hear more about these "legal" kovachii that are or are not leaving Peru.

Olaf,

I agree with what others have said. The awarded clone 'Franz' has deformed flowers, and Roth may be correct that is caused due to the use of antibiotics. To me it looks like it was trying to form two flowers, with two pouches and two staminodal shields, that both fused together, indeed a "Siamese twin". I personally have not seen this happen in any of our seedlings, but we don't use antibiotics, and our plants are all seed grown in the lab.

Robert

First clue to determine if the CITES is legal or not is to look at the signatures and seals(stamps)... Are they original or is the document a copy?

You get normally one copy of the original document

Yes a copy, never an original. So if you see a CITES cert that is not a copy of plants that entered the country, it probably is not real.

" So if you see a CITES cert that is not a copy of plants that entered the country"

Please explain precisely what you mean:

- a copy of plants
- CITES cert

" So if you see a CITES cert that is not a copy of plants that entered the country"

Please explain precisely what you mean:

- a copy of plants
- CITES cert

Let's change that to read... So if you see a CITES cert that is not a copy, with plants that entered the country, it probably is not real.

The government keeps all original documents and may or may not provide a copy to the importer.

We sould actually get rid of all this crap!!!
After that long a time it's safe to say that CITES doesn't help conservation, but it stands right in its way.
Any intelligent species would scrap it on the spot. Maybe that's why we hang on to it? Afterall, it's revenue....

Maybe it's time for printing T-Shirts?! "CITES = 100% failure but is good for cash-flow!"

Sorry dont undertand tis at all.

I imported 2 times plant out of canada to germany.
And always I get a Cites document which is a copy of the one from Canada and then I get another one from the german customers to prove they have accepted them, and the cites only showed the pure kinds which was imported and the natural Hybrtids. The 2 crosses which are not found naturally they did not mention on it. So is this one now illegal because it has a sign on it or not.

Latest posts

Back