Phragmipedium kovachii 'Franz'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
O

ORG

A very attractive plant came in flower in the collection of Franz Glanz and get also a goldmedal
Phragmipedium kovachii 'Franz' GM/DOG 2012

PhragmipediumkovachiiFranzGMDOG2012a.jpg

At the same time another clone came in flower.
Interesting is that the staminodes are different. Does anybody knows anything about the variability of these staminodes?

Here Phragmipedium kovachii 'Wössen 2'
PhragmipediumkovachiiKlon22012-09-29Fronta.jpg

Phragmipediumkovachii2Klone2012-09-29fronta.jpg

Phragmipedium kovachii 'Franz' left and 'Wössen' right

Phragmipediumkovachii2Klone2012-09-29sideb.jpg

and here the different staminodes
Phragmipediumkovachii2Klone2012-09-29Staminodiumfronta.jpg

Best greetings

Olaf

The 'Franz' clone looks deformed to me. I'm shocked that it won anything. While it is a larger, overall nicer flower, the pouch does have a flap-like piece of extra tissue down the one side and it looks like it was beginning to split into two pouches. I'm not surprised that the staminode appears to not be fully developed. I'd like to see the next flower that this plant produces.

The 'Franz' clone looks deformed to me. I'm shocked that it won anything. While it is a larger, overall nicer flower, the pouch does have a flap-like piece of extra tissue down the one side and it looks like it was beginning to split into two pouches. I'm not surprised that the staminode appears to not be fully developed. I'd like to see the next flower that this plant produces.

Interesting... That's exactly what I was thinking when I first saw the picture and was about to comment... As well as the colour break mentionned by Eric...

A very attractive plant came in flower in the collection of Franz Glanz and get also a goldmedal
Interesting is that the staminodes are different. Does anybody knows anything about the variability of these staminodes?

Best greetings
Olaf

its a defect at the "Franz" clone, maybe genetic. Pull back the gold madel immediatly. The plant is a medal candidate for paralympics.

The 'Franz' clone Staminodium looks deformed to me.

I would take the 'wossen' clone in a second over 'Franz'. Yes 'Franz' is a big flower with big petals and 'wossen is skinnier, on the next flowering if you could get' wossen' to get a little wider petals I think it could be a winner. If not I would just like to look at it more. I love the pouch and more intense clean color of that clone. 'Franz' looks like it grew to big for its own good and the color is washed out.

I agree with the critiques about the awarded one, but just have to mention that joking like that about paraolympics is not in very good taste - just something to think about in future, to keep the insults to the plants with no feelings to hurt :)

I agree with the critiques about the awarded one, but just have to mention that joking like that about paraolympics is not in very good taste - just something to think about in future, to keep the insults to the plants with no feelings to hurt :)
I would agree. My statement was in agreement about the award. I should have deleted the second part of that quote.

I would take the 'wossen' clone in a second over 'Franz'. Yes 'Franz' is a big flower with big petals and 'wossen is skinnier, on the next flowering if you could get' wossen' to get a little wider petals I think it could be a winner. If not I would just like to look at it more. I love the pouch and more intense clean color of that clone. 'Franz' looks like it grew to big for its own good and the color is washed out.

Wossen clone is coming from a different colony, that's why the staminodium and the flower shape is different, it is not going to do any wider petals. I have seen the same from the Arias exports.

Franz is another colony, most likely the Manrique exports.

Kovachii grows in many colonies, and since a couple of years, they are harvested and sold ( with CITES), so there are a lot of variants of kovachii that appeared since a couple of years.

I'd guess it's down to culture or the plant isn't all that established yet... It happens all the time. The bud grows too fast, done (deformation)! Next year could be very different.... Why the Award? Brave guess: because it's Glanz? Had Popow brought it along.................. (your guess!)

Latest posts

Back