Phragmipedium kovachii as a houseplant

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awardable orchids areThe only orchids that should be grown!!! all others are inferior and should be killed with their owners that don't agree!!!!!! The only reason we grow orchids is to get awards!!!!! Not to enjoy!!!!! Hahahaha

Could our friends here in this forum list in order of priority (of course as they see it) the main factors in the successful growing indoors (air conditioned) or in a greenhouse in South Florida of Phrag. kovachii, please? There seems to be so much contradictory information! I love that species so much that I will try growing it indoors like my Miltoniopsis which do very well on my windowsill ! Thank you for the help!

I live in south Florida and grow Kovachii successfully in my windowsills. They are in east and southeast facing Windows on humidity trays. I have the potted in"cool pots" that are tall and designed to keep the roots cooler than the air temperature. The air conditioning is on 73-74 at all times. I water daily with RO water and feed weekly with k-Lite and Kelpmax. I also grow seedlings from Peruflora under led lights. In addition I have about 7 adult Kovachii hybrids all under the same conditions and about 7 flasks of seedlings at various stages of growth. All my adults bloom and develop new growth annually.

A bit late to the party, but I just thought correct a couple things related to the mentioned seller in this thread. I work with the seller and have replated many of the kovachii in this lab. To say "while the seller sits back charging a premium price for something that most people would see as too great a risk to take on" is just plain ignorant and rude. This species is just as much of a pain to grow in the bottle as it is out of the bottle, and I can assure you that this species is hardly a big money spinner. There has been so much time and effort that has gone into researching the best ways to grow these plants that you could not possibly imagine. Please think before making silly comments.

Cheers,

Kris

Many of us had hoped that this was dead. :eek:

Sorry, couldn't let that one slide, it was just felt a little unbalanced. Fixed now :)

definitely one of the most unusual episodes in slippertalk history.

Fascinating like watching a slow motion train wreck

Fascinating but kind of disturbing as well, and sad....

The only thing to compare would be that 'MOHAN" incident!!! :eek:

I actually remembered Kevin telling me about a weird phone call he last early last year. Now it all makes sense :)

OMG... that was entertaining..

The guy stirred up the exact same pot of drama over at OrchidBoard.

Can't stop reading all 7 pages!

Unfortunately, now you can't un-read them!
BTW, why do you have your post/page limit so low? this is a 2 page thread.

Would you like a robot puppy?:)

I saw the special on the Aibos, very sad for their owners. BTW, that thing pissing on the couch is your baby, not a robot-dog! :p

Reading using my iPhone, not up to me

Put the phone down and back away slowly. :p

Awardable orchids areThe only orchids that should be grown!!! all others are inferior and should be killed with their owners that don't agree!!!!!! The only reason we grow orchids is to get awards!!!!! Not to enjoy!!!!! Hahahaha

Karma has a way of dealing with arrogant, vindictive and sadistic people like yourselves who enjoy ridiculing others. Just ask Helen Western or Eric Muehlbauer. Bitter much?

Latest posts

Back