Phragmipedium kovachii as a houseplant

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never raised anything from a flask. I've also never grown any type of orchid before. Is it really that tricky? Do you think I'm wasting my time pursuing this? I don't have a green house and would probably have to end up growing it as a houseplant and wonder if it would struggle under those conditions. If the success rate is going to be low I am probably better to save myself the stress of trying to grow one.

Well you should always try new things! I'm just trying to help you set the right expectations :)

Growing orchids from flask is something anyone can do, but it does take developing some skills. The seedlings have been kept in a sterile, climate-controlled environment for the first two years of their life, and they require special care to transition them into the harsh outside world. Among all the types of orchids out there, I would say deflasking kovachii is probably for the advanced grower.

I recommend growing some other orchids in your home first, and try some inexpensive flasks once you get the basic culture down. Hybrids of orchid species are usually the easist to start with. In a few years you'll have that skill and kovachii will hopefully be more readily available and less expensive by then too.

If you live in an area with a orchid society, suggest stopping in at a meeting or two to talk with local growers about what grows well in your area. And we are always here to help with questions too!

I've never raised anything from a flask. I've also never grown any type of orchid before. Is it really that tricky? Do you think I'm wasting my time pursuing this? I don't have a green house and would probably have to end up growing it as a houseplant and wonder if it would struggle under those conditions. If the success rate is going to be low I am probably better to save myself the stress of trying to grow one.

Phrags are not for beginner orchid growers, especially species phrags. Start with some easier orchids like hybrid cattleyas or oncidiums, and see if you can make them survive and thrive. Then get a hybrid phrag and see how you do with it. Otherwise, you're in for a lot of stress and probably disappointment.

Thnaks for the honest advice. I am unsure what to do lol. I really like PK and don't have the space or finances to own lots of orchids. I guess I could always buy one and see how it goes.

Hearing about how all the main people in the kovachii story have passed away makes me realize the fragility of life and the sooner I purchase a kovachii the sooner it will be before I see it flower.

The book still has not arrived, but I know once I read it regardless of the difficulty of growing it I would like to own at least one as for me just owning one is a sense of adventure because of how recent the discovery is.

Also the remote and exotic aspect of the Amazonian cloud forests it came from just make it appealing to own and see one bloom in person, a sight unattainable by most.

:eek:

Do yourself a favor, get a hybrid like Phrag. Eumelia Arias. It is the closest to the color of PK and only about 1/4 the price. Centro de Jardineria Manrique or Peruflora, in Peru, or Piping Rock Orchids or Orchids Limited in USA would be my recommended sources.BTW, have you read Orchid Fever yet!!

No I have not read that book yet. I also haven't read 'The Orchid Thief'. Maybe I should purchase those two books aswell although thought if I limited myself to the book on kovachii I wouldn't get consumed by orchids and want to own more species.

Although I have seen the movie 'Adaptation' and the Midsomer Murders 'Orchis Fatalis' episode which fascinated me with the mystery that is orchids and propagated in me an interest for orchids.

It's impossible to import plants here I think and I don't want to go to the hassle of that.

Although for me their is something mesmerizing about the idea of the wild PK that I don't get with other orchids. Perhaps it's the romance and poetry of the stroy behind it's discovery. Maybe it's partly to do with a fascination around how something so delicate could be found in such a harsh environment, clinging to the limestone cliffs for mere survival. Perhaps it is the elusive way in which it chooses to bloom under the cover of the wet seasons heavy downpours, as if trying to stay hidden in it's own little world. Maybe it has something to do with the pollinator being unknown. Why a bloom with no equal in the natural world is found in such a place that attempts to hide and mask it's beauty with the andean fog and rains is something that will always be of interest to me and for me make all the others pale in comparison.

I would actually consider phrag hybrids to be very good beginner plants, especially the besseae crosses. Flasklings are difficult for even experienced growers, and Pk probably more difficult. I tried my hand at a deflasked Pk seedling...held on for a year or so, but never took off..then just declined and died.

Was perusing through ebay for kovachii stuff and came across a stamp that was issued by the Central African Republic in 2013 featuring the late Pope John Paul II alongside Phragmipedium kovachii.

Am I missing something here? Does anyone know how the Central African Republic, Pope John Paul II and PK fit together or have any significance together?

It just seems like the weirdest thing out. I can't understand why PK would feature on any other countries stamp other than that of Peru, and can only conclude it has something to do with Peru's heavily catholic traditions translating to the same traditions found in the Central African Republic and Kovach saying he thought it was gods will for him to find an orchid and name it after himself.

Somebody needs to clear this up for me. Very confused right now.

Inquired with that supplier and now apparently their are none available and might not be 'for months or years' quoting the seller. Whatever that means. They stated it is not an orchid for beginners to deflask and grow.

I give up. Some people tell me it's an easy plant to grow others make out it's the hardest thing to do. Bye.

These countries put out all kinds of stamps for things that are unrelated to them...they are for collectors, and mean a bit of income for the government.

Inquired with that supplier and now apparently their are none available and might not be 'for months or years' quoting the seller. Whatever that means. They stated it is not an orchid for beginners to deflask and grow.

I give up. Some people tell me it's an easy plant to grow others make out it's the hardest thing to do. Bye.

Um... I have been growing orchids for 15 years, and LOTS of Phrags. I have tried Pk and know that is is not an easy plant, especially from seedling size. Flasklet size is smaller. I am not sure Stone's comment about Brisbane weather should be construed to mean that Pk is easy. Maybe you should ask how he grows his Pk. You have received some tips from experienced growers. Do what you want to do. Bye.

Apologies for being rude, I'm just feeling frustrated thats all. The orchid scene in Australia really seems only for collectors as almost everything here that is not run of the mill is only sold online here and is flask.

It would be greatly appreciated if a moderator could remove the seller I am referring to websites link and name as quoted here as I am not sure what happened with them and don't like to publically mention anyone by name or business. I have removed any identifying remarks from my post.Thanks in advance.

I have found a second supplier here in Australia just through doing a simple google search and will see how I get along with them.

INSIDER TIP: If your a newbie to the orchid scene like me but captivated by P. kovachii and thinking of purchasing P. kovachii don't mention this to the supplier.

Sorry and all the best of luck growing your plants.

I've been growing slipper orchids for the best part of 15 years and I would consider kovachii to be beyond my ability as a grower. Given you have never grown an orchid, it would seem very ambitious to start off with this species. I know a few people who got flasks and quickly lost all of the seedlings. You have to remember it is much easier to grow large adult plants than it is to grow small seedlings just out of a flask. Even really easy growing species can be difficult to grow from flask. It takes a fair amount of experience and some heavy losses before you can deflask successfully.

You would be better starting off with some Phrag hybrids and see how they go. These are generally quite easy to grow. If you have success then you can start thinking about the species. By that time kovachii should hopefully be a lot cheaper and large plants more readily available.

Thanks for the insight and advice. I just sold my last Aibo robot thinking I would buy a kovachii but now I won't bother and so have lost all my hobbies lol. I originally got into Aibo cause it was easy compared to trying to keep plants or animals but now find myself back at square one.

I'm surprised you can't get them to grow in Canberra although with the winters their can see how they would struggle but if you are unable to grow kovachii with all your many years of experience then their is no point my trying. I was going to get a N lowii but think I will abandon that idea also. I'm starting to find I don't really enjoy any hobbies I've ever been involved with and don't know if it's just me or if their all a pain to be honest.

Sorry its so frustrating for you. Like I said, there are sources for blooming size hybrids that will give you a start.

Paph lowii? Very easy to grow. I don't know if you are near any of the growers that post here but some of the best Multis (plants that hold more than one bloom at the same time) are shown by people in Australia and you should be able to find a good source. Australia also has an endemic group of Denbrobium hybrids (kingianum and speciosum type) that are grown best there. There are also tons of native orchids there that if you can grow well you will be the envy of many people here, (Thelymitra comes easiest to mind). Good luck.

I agree with Eric. Start with something less frustrating, and then when you have built confidence that you can grow and flower it, go on to something a bit more difficult. Many of us still have difficulties with seedlings, even though we may have had good success with older plants. It is sort of like babies trying to run before they've learned how to stand.

Definitely agree with Eric and Dot. There are a bazillion amazing plants out there to grow - Frankly, the kovachii story is all pretty messed up, IMO. D. kingianum is a pretty good story too. I love mine, and it takes a beating from me and doesn't skip a beat. Well, maybe a beat after I divide it, but the year after it puts on a fabulous and fragrant show. Well worth it to grow.

Latest posts

Back