Phragmipedium Ivan Portilla (??)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After seeing a Phrag Ivan Portilla at the Paph Forum earlier this year. I decided I needed to add one to my collections, and I did. At least I thought I did. This is my Phrag Ivan Portilla (Grouville x kovachii). It looks suspiciously like Ecugenera Dream (Sedenii x kovachii).

20200527_210349.jpg 20200527_210338.jpg
I have not seen many Ivan Portilla. So I am not sure how much they vary. The one I saw looked more like giant besseae or Fritz Schomburg.

Does anyone have thoughts on this ID?

I don't know what Ivan Portilla looks like, but this is a very nice outcome. I wouldn't be disappointed with this unless you have something very similar to it in your collection and were expecting a very different outcome.

I think you may be correct, I think Phrag. Ivan Portilla should look similar to a Fritz Schomburg.

Here is the challenge. I already have Ecugenera Dream. Here is mine from last year. It is nice but I don't need two.

20190612_185054.jpg
Plus Ivan Portilla is $20 more than Ecugenera Dream

Attachments

• 20190612_185050.jpg
    20190612_185050.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 5
I don't know... Attached is a photo of Dot's Grouville 'Wacousta' AM/AOS, and I can see some similarities, especially if it was G x k and not k x G. Plus it has a similarly-shaped staminode.

Grouville 'Wacousta'.jpg

Seems fine,seen many at Ecuagenera and have a few,and are mostly all similar to yours...
Phrag Ecuagenera Dream,the current flowering size cross have much darker colours(the ones I seen in flower)

Maybe the plant at the paph forum was miss-labeled? ;-)
I am wondering about that also. I snapped the picture pretty quickly. So I could have gotten the wrong label!

Regarding the size, it is about the same as my Ecuagenera Dream. However Both are first time bloomers. So I am not changing the label based on size alone. I wish my Ecuagenera Dream would spike soon to give some perspectives.

I have had the same thoughts about my "Ivan Portilla". Did you get yours from Ecuagenera also?

I emailed Ecuagenera with a pic asking their opinion on it. This is my plant.

Attachments

• IMG_20200420_155440467.jpg
    IMG_20200420_155440467.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 14
Seems fine,seen many at Ecuagenera and have a few,and are mostly all similar to yours...
Phrag Ecuagenera Dream,the current flowering size cross have much darker colours(the ones I seen in flower)
Have the Dream on my wishlist. Are Ecuag orchids mature size? That one looks like what I am ordering with a purple color.

Latest posts

Back