Phragmipedium ecuadorense

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

jjochs

I got this in spike at the POE, and it's been open for about a week now. The last pic is without flash.

John

Attachments

• Phrag ecuadorense 1.JPG
    Phrag ecuadorense 1.JPG
    22.5 KB · Views: 10
  • Phrag ecuadorense 2.JPG
    Phrag ecuadorense 2.JPG
    15.8 KB · Views: 18
  • Phrag ecuadorense 3.JPG
    Phrag ecuadorense 3.JPG
    17 KB · Views: 18
  • Phrag ecuadorense 4.JPG
    Phrag ecuadorense 4.JPG
    14.8 KB · Views: 31
We had this discussion a few weeks ago but I need to ask again. What is your plant's leaf span and how large is the flower? The reason I ask, is that I have a Phrag that was awarded a number of yrs ago as "pearcei" but at the time there were large pearcei's and small ones (growths and flowers). Now, I feel mine is indeed richteri and not pearcei at all. Your pics of ecuadorense looks like my pearcei/richteri flower.

BTW, very nice flowering

The leaf span is 10-15 inches. The flower about 1-1.5 inches. Ramon, I don't believe I had the pleasure.

John

The leaf span is 10-15 inches. The flower about 1-1.5 inches. Ramon, I don't believe I had the pleasure.

John

That's a shame I was there for the whole duration of the show and I met Julia, Candace, Peter and Kyle.

Ramon:)

It is correct: it is Phrag ecuadorense, syn parceae
If in doubt, please ask Olaf

We had this discussion a few weeks ago but I need to ask again. What is your plant's leaf span and how large is the flower? The reason I ask, is that I have a Phrag that was awarded a number of yrs ago as "pearcei" but at the time there were large pearcei's and small ones (growths and flowers). Now, I feel mine is indeed richteri and not pearcei at all. Your pics of ecuadorense looks like my pearcei/richteri flower.

BTW, very nice flowering

Rick H. Does your inflorescence branch? A big ecuadorensis can be very difficult to tell from a poorly grown richteri. But spike branching is fairly indicative of richteri (or richteri/pearcei hybrids). My richteri when grown in bright conditions was almost the same size as my larger pearcei, and the spiked never branched. However, after a year in darker conditions the plant grew much larger, and the spikes frequently branch, and are much longer than the pearcei ever get. The flowers are not that different in size, but the coloration and markings are crisper and more distinct in richteri.

Rick L.

Rick L.
I talked about my Phrag pearcei (or whatever it is) in another thread regarding light source. In that thread I mentioned this plant came from a previous owner that grew under fluorscent lights. It had a spike, I kid you not, 3 foot easy with many bloom brackets. I don't recall any branching and I have never had branching in the GH. It's blooming and I will post it soon. I will try to photograph the whole plant with a measuring stick so you will is the n.l. span.
Quite a few yrs ago I bought a lot of seedlings from a firm in TN. I think the name was Blackriver Orchids, a Mr Pelger or Peiger was the owner. I can't remember for certain. Anyway, a few seedlings were Phrag richteri. one surrvived and bloomed. The plant was little! No more then 3 inches tall and a leaf span of 12 inches with side growths. One flower and down right ugly. Pale whitish green with a pink cast to the petals. I thought richteri's were huge compared to pearcei's. Granted this little richteri isn't in the best of health, maybe it will improve once I re-pot. P.S. It didn't branch either

Rick H.

I'd say your plant with a 3 foot spike is definitely not a pearcei / ecuadorensis, and when my richteri was at its worst (and still trying to bloom) it had a 12 inch leaf span, but spikes over 18" tall, no branches and lots of bracts with no flowers. Now its closer to 2ft in span. It has 3 or 4 growths in spike, and 2 are branching pretty good. Although the flowers are not really larger than ecuadorenis they have heavier substance and last longer so that a branched spike has had 5 or 6 flowers open at a time on it.

My ecuadorensis has produced dozens of spikes over the years and generally stop at about a foot. It's rare to see 3 good flowers on a spike at a time. This year it just produced 1 branch on a spike.

Maybe richteri is just a 4N pearcei??

I'd say your plant with a 3 foot spike is definitely not a pearcei / ecuadorensis, and when my richteri was at its worst (and still trying to bloom) it had a 12 inch leaf span, but spikes over 18" tall, no branches and lots of bracts with no flowers. Now its closer to 2ft in span. It has 3 or 4 growths in spike, and 2 are branching pretty good. Although the flowers are not really larger than ecuadorenis they have heavier substance and last longer so that a branched spike has had 5 or 6 flowers open at a time on it.

My ecuadorensis has produced dozens of spikes over the years and generally stop at about a foot. It's rare to see 3 good flowers on a spike at a time. This year it just produced 1 branch on a spike.

Maybe richteri is just a 4N pearcei??

WOW, Maybe once mine gets going I'll get the same. (*PS I posted it today*)

Latest posts

Back