Phragmipedium dalessandroi

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's quite an impressive show! I like the colour contrast on the dalessandroi. The yellow pouch is quite striking.

Are the round propeller-like things on the plastic bins in the background vents??

Last edited:
Thanks all. I love Phrag season this time of year.

They should not give you ANY grief as dalessandroi is a Kew-accepted species.

• Kew and others say dalessandroi, but I believe current AOS logic is leaning towards clumping these. If there are AOS judges, please weigh in and check my logic. The judges that come to the Northeast Ohio shows are really great people. A few have educated me on the dalessandroi/besseae complex before getting in deep discussion with a dissenting judge.
Are the round propeller-like things on the plastic bins in the background vents??

Yes. That is a propagation dome that I am trying out. It is taller and I am hoping to keep seedling in it longer than the shorter versions I have.

Well. AOS’s new awards search program, OrchidPro, identifies three awarded dalessandroi (and no besseae f. or var. dalessandroi).
The AOS has a judging handbook task force that has proposed officially incorporating reference to the World Checklist of Selected Plant Families (Kew) as its primary source for species nomenclature. This is part of a number of proposals that are pending review and adoption, but my (limited) understanding is that this is the currently preferred practice. Right now there is no section in the judging handbook on accepted nomenclature authorities.

It’s a different species and it’s a silly thing to argue differently. Different flower, different habit, annoying that people want to lump. There, I said it. And your flower is FIRE. Congratulations.

It is a different species you can see it in my book, you can see it in the book from Cribb and also in Braem's book. Also in the Kew-list. But some Judges know all better

Latest posts

Back