Phragmipedium besseae 'Peru 1988'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have got some besseae 'Peru' plants too, they are extremely distinctive in the way that they do not make stolons like yours.

A couple of things:
- That's the 'besseae' used by the Eric Young for their magnificent first batch of besseae hybrids. The Ecuador besseae apparently is a much worse breeder.
- It is extremely rare in cultivation. Even the Peruvian - Arias - who tried to recollect that form in the 90's eventually never found it back. They found a colony further north that is similar to the Ecuador type, but never again plants like those ones.
- Indeed I bloomed them many times crippled like yours. Apparently it is related to heat.

These are in SE Asia?

Nowadays :evil: Even the cuthbertsonii and that kind of stuff, decockii, brevicaule, perform well. North Vietnam is not warm, this morning it's only 14C...

Before those besseae were in France, and that was the same problem. Summer, the blooms were crippled completely, winter perfectly fine... Automatic. And the siblings did the same, so it's not virus related. Another observation, the 4n hybrids from the EYOF - the earlier generations, as nothing good went out since Alan Moon left... - made with that peruvian besseae, such as EY, Mem. Dick Clements, etc.. make more teeth on the petal sides during warm weather.

- It is extremely rare in cultivation. Even the Peruvian - Arias - who tried to recollect that form in the 90's eventually never found it back. They found a colony further north that is similar to the Ecuador type, but never again plants like those ones.

Alfreado Manrique collected bessea from the original population location about 2 years ago. I saw the plants right after they were collected and the plants were clumping type growth and the bloom was very nice.

I'm having way too much fun playing with my new macro flash rig...

Peru1988.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanderianum

Alfreado Manrique collected bessea from the original population location about 2 years ago. I saw the plants right after they were collected and the plants were clumping type growth and the bloom was very nice.

These plants are indeed very rare at the type locality. All the plants have been collected for a quick buck by campesinos and populations have never regenareted. I've been working in the mountains of the type locality for the last 4 years and I only found 2 small populations of around 10 plants each which is very disturbing when you hear the stories of the local about the enormous number of plant they collected. With a group of scientist, we are thinking about regenerating the types localities in the next 2-4 years but it will be extremely hard to keep the campesinos from collecting them again....we will see.
I have a Flickr gallery with a few photos of the Peruvian besseae populations for those interested. http://www.flickr.com/photos/48165547@N05/
st
MAth
All the be

These plants are indeed very rare at the type locality. All the plants have been collected for a quick buck by campesinos and populations have never regenareted...With a group of scientist, we are thinking about regenerating the types localities in the next 2-4 years but it will be extremely hard to keep the campesinos from collecting them again....we will see.
I have a Flickr gallery with a few photos of the Peruvian besseae populations for those interested. http://www.flickr.com/photos/48165547@N05/

Thank you for sharing those photos, it's special to see these plants in their native habitat.

Is it correct to assume that the photos of the P. kovachii in the "Traffic" album are such plants, "collected for a quick buck"? If so, are these plants mostly sold domestically, or to foreign collectors? Any idea of the number of plants coming out of the countryside on a yearly basis?

Is it correct to assume that the photos of the P. kovachii in the "Traffic" album are such plants, "collected for a quick buck"? If so, are these plants mostly sold domestically, or to foreign collectors? Any idea of the number of plants coming out of the countryside on a yearly basis?

Yes these plants are collected for a quick buck.
The only known population of Kovachii is from a National Park and yet a few hundreds (4-500) plants are collected each year from there and sold for 10-40 Nuevo Soles. In Peru their is a big domestic orchid traffic and the problem with Kovachii is that it is a very fragile plant (only 10% of what is collected survive). A few years ago, renown orchid nurseries from Peru and Ecuador were collecting the plants in large quantities for the international market. Now the pressure comes mainly from the domestic market. This plant will disapear soon if nothing is done...I might talk more about that situation when I will have a little bit more time.
MAth

Thanks for the photos and "on ground" truth Treefrog. Yes, I can imagine what you are saying is the truth. Sadly, even when habitat is saved plants still go extinct. What is to be done? I don't know, but trying to reestablish viable populations is really difficult from what I've seen, particularly if adult plants are used.

Please do tell us more as time and energy permits!

Latest posts

Back