Phragmipedium besseae 'Peru 1988'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kentuckiense

Debaser
Reaction score
First, a little backstory on this plant: As I understand it (please correct me, OL guys), Orchids Limited collected this besseae in Peru in 1988, pre-CITES. Obviously, throughout the years, divisions have been made and sold, and this plant is a division gifted to me by forum founder John (PHRAG) about 3.5 years ago. Unlike most besseae, this clone has a non-stolonous growth form.

Unfortunately, I can't seem to flower it without mutated blooms, so this photo will have to do:

PhragbesseaePeru1988.jpg

This is also my first attempt at a new method of "studio" style orchid photography. Here's the basic setup:

Completely dark room
Black jacket draped over a desk lamp in the background
Plant 1.5 feet in front of jacket
ISO 200 (will try 100 next time)
f22
25 second exposure
White balance set to 'flash'
During the exposure, I use an LED maglight to highlight various areas of the flower

This is, quite literally, my first attempt at this method, so it isn't perfected yet. Due to a drafty window (maybe my breathing and movement, too), the image isn't perfectly sharp. However, I like the preliminary results, and I'm definitely going to keep working on it. I encourage those with the equipment to give it a shot.

The photography looks good. It is very difficult if not impossible to get close up images perfectly sharp at long exposures. Your second image is much sharper.

The flower looks like it might have a viral problem?

I have a friend that grew a besseae (labelled dalessandroi, IMO it is not) inside and it all he got from his plant was mutant blooms like this, even though it was a multi-growth plant.
But he moved it into his cool solarium (in Feb, so still snowing), and it gave perfectly round blooms. So he thinks that temperature was the issue for his plant. Maybe this is a similar situation? When I saw the plant both types of blooms were there, so it was a recent move.

I have a friend that grew a besseae (labelled dalessandroi, IMO it is not) inside and it all he got from his plant was mutant blooms like this, even though it was a multi-growth plant.
But he moved it into his cool solarium (in Feb, so still snowing), and it gave perfectly round blooms. So he thinks that temperature was the issue for his plant. Maybe this is a similar situation? When I saw the plant both types of blooms were there, so it was a recent move.

You know, I wouldn't be surprised. My plants are in my bedroom, so I have to walk a sort-of fine line between making my orchids happy and not freezing.

I retook the first photo. I wasn't happy with how a few spots got blown out and looked a bit harsh.

besseaeredo.jpg

I also tried out a bit more macro (1:1) work:

besscloseup.jpg

I can tell I'm going to have a lot of fun with this.

(I've got a vietnamense in the blooming pipeline, so hopefully I'll be able to try this out with a non-deformed flower soon.)

This is also my first attempt at a new method of "studio" style orchid photography. Here's the basic setup:

Completely dark room
Black jacket draped over a desk lamp in the background
Plant 1.5 feet in front of jacket
ISO 200 (will try 100 next time)
f22
25 second exposure
White balance set to 'flash'
During the exposure, I use an LED maglight to highlight various areas of the flower

Are you saying that the only light is from the flashlight? How does the background not get lit up too, then? 1.5 feet is not a long way.

you're color and saturation look alot closer than alot of digital besseae and deep red flowers i've seen, very nice. the last phrag I posted is in a low humidity environment and it also had marks on each pouch so it could be the humidity issue

Latest posts

Back