Phragmipedium besseae 'Chiguinda'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Based upon temperature, light level and moisture seen they like it cool, wet and shady. Here's a photo I took of a plant in bloom. It is growing immediately next to a seepage zone, so a constant supply of good quality water is available. If you look closely, there's a seedling growing in the wettest area to the right of the main plant. Temperature was 60F and the light level was 1,100 foot-candles.

Attachments

• Photo  75.JPG
    Photo 75.JPG
    345.4 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
thanks for letting me know. I know they were planning a phrag habitat tour in the fall. I was definitely interested. Hopefully we will be in a different global and travel climate by then.

Hope so, Darlene - The world's a little crazy now when it comes to international travel. There are two rainy seasons in Ecuador, and the Phrags. bloom then so make sure you're there at the right time. Bring a good pair of Vibram soled hiking boots.

Based upon temperature, light level and moisture seen they like it cool, wet and shady. Here's a photo I took of a plant in bloom. It is growing immediately next to a seepage zone, so a constant supply of good quality water is available. If you look closely, there's a seedling growing in the wettest area to the right of the main plant. Temperature was 60F and the light level was 1,100 foot-candles.
So cool!

@tomkalina were any of those sobralias in bloom when you were there?

Forgot to mention: The water quality in these seepages was very high - like 12-18 ppm Total Dissolved Solids.

Latest posts

Back