Phragmipedium bessae in bud

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anca86

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody,

My Phragmipedium bessae is in bud as you can see. It is also pushing 2 new growths. The thing is that it is in low bud since 3 or 4 months. It is growing verrry slowly. I water once every 3 days, I fertilize at every watering with a low concentration, once per month kelp and every 2 weeks probiotics. I flush once per month.
What's going on?

Thanks for your ideas
Anca

Attachments

• 20210506_160456.jpg
    20210506_160456.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 19
Good luck with this! Is the plant growing well above the compost with the leaves on a sort of stem? Besseae is notorious for doing this and then the roots that develop around the base of the growth just stay as small nubs. I think that I can see this In the photo.
This may be why the plant isn’t developing the flowers quickly, it has few roots. You can sort this out by wrapping the stem around the base of the growth with sphagnum moss then covering with cling film, so encouraging the root nubs to grow down into the compost.

Good luck with this! Is the plant growing well above the compost with the leaves on a sort of stem? Besseae is notorious for doing this and then the roots that develop around the base of the growth just stay as small nubs. I think that I can see this In the photo.
This may be why the plant isn’t developing the flowers quickly, it has few roots. You can sort this out by wrapping the stem around the base of the growth with sphagnum moss then covering with cling film, so encouraging the root nubs to grow down into the compost.
It's true that the growth on which the bud is does not have great roots. Thanks for the tip with the cling film.

Oh boy oh boy...this phrag shall bloom ! 😀
I would say it has a moment of unhappiness,will try to grow out of it.My qfMaria grows roots into the water,and grows like a weed.It's bud is now the tallest part of the plant

Latest posts

Back