specific recommendations on culture.

KateL

ST Supporter
ST Supporter
Reaction score
Kate, this is a splendid flower! I have Bel Croute (Sorcerer's Apprentice 4n x
caudatum v. sanderae) and am have some trouble growing it properly. Any
specific recommendations on culture.
Hi Angela, No great insight here. I grow it on the bright side, which I credit with its flowering on its single-fan division. It now has a new growth started. Best of luck!

cpmaniac

ST Supporter
ST Supporter
Reaction score
That's a beauty, Kate. I dream of moving to HI and growing my orchids out in the yard...

KateL

ST Supporter
ST Supporter
Reaction score
That's a beauty, Kate. I dream of moving to HI and growing my orchids out in the yard...
Thanks Paul. I gotta admit I have to pinch myself sometimes. Particularly now, with Covid madness and stay-at-home orders, both I and my orchids have enjoyed having each other around. Best, Kate

KateL

ST Supporter
ST Supporter
Reaction score
How do you even start to physically move this for judging.
I personally can’t lift it, as much because of girth as weight, but my husband can. We have a stand that we bungee into the rear of my SUV (stand pic below) and then we try to position/drape the inflorescences so we are not putting weight on themF37A384C-6B8D-4BFE-8F42-5BABD081228C.jpeg. We lose quite a few flowers, but if a particular inflorescence looks bad when we “arrive”, we just cut it. Not perfect, but it works. Our big old Bulb medusae was even harder. I did not even want to take it in last year because I thought it was a day past its prime (it was), but Ian insisted. We left a trail of white flowers on the carpet in the back of the car and still got a CCE. That one is heavy.

awesomei

ST Supporter
ST Supporter
Reaction score
Here are some picture of my Bel Croute which won me an AM in June of 2019. I growth it with the rest of my long petal phrags on the south side of my greenhouse where they get plenty of strong light. I feed them weakly weekly, 1/4 to 1/2 strength, with an alternating variety of fertilizers. They seem to be hardy robust plants with large blooms that last for weeks.
George_DSC2548 Phrag. Belle Courte.jpg_DSC2548 Phrag. Belle Courte.jpg_DSC5806.jpg_DSC6304 Phrag. Bel Croute.jpg_DSC6307 Phrag. Bel Croute.jpg

Latest posts