Phragmipedium Barbara LeAnn x dalessandroi

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KateL

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The most interestIng thing to me is that these two are out of the same flask. The red one (which got a little beat up on the dorsal and stage right petal before I noticed it was blooming), looks like a little Jason Fischer. Kind of cool. My iPhone does not like the color of the other one, which is kind of a peach parfait. At first, I thought maybe there was a mistake, but if you look at Barbara LeAnn and its progeny, there are some really red ones and quite a few of the bicolor orange or pink ones.
Phrag. Waunakee Sunset is a similar cross between Barbara LeAnn and besseae.

Attachments

• 1346578C-A296-4383-9876-47C7DC7E2970.jpeg
    1346578C-A296-4383-9876-47C7DC7E2970.jpeg
    90 KB · Views: 29
  • 69FE408F-0520-4000-BE96-AC7CA76C7651.jpeg
    69FE408F-0520-4000-BE96-AC7CA76C7651.jpeg
    177.8 KB · Views: 31
  • 9142A0B0-38E2-43CA-AD6F-CC3546734294.jpeg
    9142A0B0-38E2-43CA-AD6F-CC3546734294.jpeg
    148.9 KB · Views: 28
  • 19948DEA-397D-4506-91A8-67163E0B3B36.jpeg
    19948DEA-397D-4506-91A8-67163E0B3B36.jpeg
    111 KB · Views: 22
The red is very nice. I'm not over fond of the sort of peachy one,
however, the color may improve. I'd enjoy photos as this plant
matures.
I agree, Angela. I only posted that one for comparison. It bloomed first and I was thinking, oh well, not my favorite. The red one was a surprise. I think it is really fun and I am looking forward to it growing up.

Yay besseae hybrids! the variability we are seeing in a lot of crosses gives me pause. I have flavums that are hot pink and reds that are orange. :(

Yay besseae hybrids! the variability we are seeing in a lot of crosses gives me pause. I have flavums that are hot pink and reds that are orange. :(
That’s a legit perspective, but I find the variability intriguing - like maybe I’ll happen upon a seedling that really stands out. Wishful thinking, I know. . . 😊

Like that red one? Comparing to Waunakee Sunsets (being the closest to this cross) I have seen it looks pretty special. But would also have to see once the whole flask blooms and maybe get a better one of that form. If it then branches; yum, yum, yum.

Thanks for posting these. The difference between seedlings is really interesting.

I also agree. You have something special with that red one. The peachy one has its merits also with the two tone petals. It will be great to see both mature over time.

Love the red one as well, but having a hard time believing it's parentage. The pale one, I can believe is the correct parentage, but not the red. Is it possible a tag may have been mixed up?

Love the red one as well, but having a hard time believing it's parentage. The pale one, I can believe is the correct parentage, but not the red. Is it possible a tag may have been mixed up?
Hi Tom, I would never say never, of course, because I did not personally take it from pod to lab to here, just from the deflasked stage.
I don’t have anything else red in that stage of development and I do all my own repotting in a plodding sort of way. Tags are made as I go.
I note that Barbara LeAnn has thrown off some nice reds, including when crossed back to besseae. I guess I’ll just grow out some more and see what I get. Best, Kate

P.S. I emailed with the hybridizer and saw a picture of the Barbara LeAnn used. It was a dark pink with a really nice full shape, so it could be right . . .

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back