Phragmipedium Acker's Flare

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrhappyrotter

Grand Chupacabra
Reaction score
Phragmipedium Acker's Flare (Jason Fischer x Beauport)

I did not expect this to bloom again this year, because it's a very reluctant bloomer. I think now that I'm growing it in shadier conditions, it may be happier. The foliage is larger and the plant seems over all healthier on the bottom shelf, so that may be its permanent growing spot. I hope it starts to bloom regularly. This time around it's got 2 flower spikes -- another growth is just starting to produce the second spike, so this plant will be putting on a nice little show for me for a while.

The color on this is really nice. Nice and solid and velvety.

VY9muVMl.jpg

QMKg7QWl.jpg

I would love to see outcome of this crossed with P. dalessandroi, particularly if it resulted in more yellow on and around the lip and staminode and/or branching flower spikes.

That is a nice looking flower. Do you contribute the lower shelf a temperature change for your good fortune?

That is a nice looking flower. Do you contribute the lower shelf a temperature change for your good fortune?

I would be surprised if there's any temperature difference at all. I grow indoors in a small space with lots of air flow, so temperature is presumably going to be more or less uniform.

I think the plant just prefers shadier conditions. I've observed this before in other Phrags (and other plants), where they just seem to grow better for me when they get moved into less bright conditions.

It's beautiful--I see more Jason Fischer than anything else in it. Glad that it is growing better and blooming for you!

David

The suggestion of growing a bit shadier makes perfect sense. I still think cooler night temps is equally important.

Many of mine have been putting on foilage but have been more hesitant of late to bloom while under more light than in previous years.

Im going to drop a bulb or two and see what happens.

Cheers!

I've found just the opposite with my Phrag. bench. I added
a six 50 watt LED row of lights over the bench and all the
Phrags started popping blooms and buds and sending out
new growth like mad.

Latest posts

Back