Phrag. Wossner Supergrande ‘Penn’s View’

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KateL

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is my first bloom of a division I got from Woodstream in late 2018. It just unfurled, so the petals should get longer, but I am traveling later in the week and decided to share it now.

FBC7ACCB-141A-46F8-A12C-E9AEE8067424.jpeg
7431F2B2-B47E-44A1-938A-8B34E2757886.jpeg

Dear Kate, that's one very fancy bloom. I have a one that's
Mini Grande 'Fran' that hasn't bloomed so far. It does have a
new growth that seems to be very sloooooow. Is this one a
water hog and lots of light or the reverse?

I am just learning to do a somewhat better job with the long-petaled critters (I hope). They seem to like more light and slightly drier conditions. I have struggled with these so i am quite happy to see this flower.

You live in Hawaii, where do you grow it?? It's beautiful!
Hi Troy,
I’m a back yard grower in Honolulu. I live at about 750 feet above sea level on Pacific Heights (behind Punchbowl). Although I have loved orchids all my adult life, I’ve only recently started growing Phragmipedium. They seem to like the humidity and gentle trade winds.
Most of my orchids are hanging - this is one of my orchid ‘boxes’

Attachments

• 398FBD0C-C032-44F8-B90B-851DDFC0086E.jpeg
    398FBD0C-C032-44F8-B90B-851DDFC0086E.jpeg
    48.7 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Thank you,
I grow it , like most of my phrags., in my greenhouse with a humidity of 70-80% in a mix of small and medium Orchiate bark, Charcoal, and medium sponge rock. I water weekly with a 25% Cal-mag fertilize with Voodoo juice added. I am experimenting with adding a small amount of Grodon rock wool 1/4 inch cubes, maybe 10%?

I'd love to hear how the experiment with the
rock wool cubes turns out. I have received
plants from vendors in rock wool and my
Phrags stayed too wet too long. My greenhouse
humidity is as high or higher than 70-80% with
excellent air flow.

Beautiful! Love your orchid box!!!
Thanks Musa! The EZ Corners orchid boxes my husband put up in the back yard really fed my addiction! The thing is, with pipes and fittings and pre-made bases, he is able to put one of these up in a weekend. When we were doing smaller wooden orchid boxes, it would take several weekends (maybe months) to get one done. The limiting factor on our last one was we could not get the six foot wide 1x2 inch wire fencing (last summer) that we put over the top and down the ends. We ended up using three foot wire fencing, which works, but I liked the strength of the single piece of welded wire because I hang so much weight on it.
9CEC9B21-B5D1-4D8B-85DC-10FD8A2813D2.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back