Phrag Waunakee Wonder x dalessandroi

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Out of a flask from Chuck Acker, it was one of the two best flowers. The plant seems to be growing very well now and there are several more buds. I like the yellow tones on the older flower, but I don't know how long it will hang on. The newest flower has been open for 5 days. If the plant continues to grow well and can hold multiple flowers, I think it's a keep. Who knows, maybe the dalessandroi parent will result in branching?WW x dal.jpg

Good color on these. The flowers look large. Generally speaking hybrids involving caudatum are going to be unlikely to produce branches, but I wouldn't say it's completely hopeless in this case. Especially since caudatum is only around 12.5% of the parentage here, and because dalessandroi has such a strong branching tendency. I also wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it to happen though, because even with those that branch, at least sporadically, it often doesn't happen until the plants are old and have attained some size to them.

stunning,
could you also post the blooms from other plants that you have,
I am curious of the range of color results from this cross.

Hien

Here is a photo of another plant from the same flask. I returned this one to Chuck Acker for his breeding program. I have one more unbloomed seedling from this cross, but out of a different flask. I do not think it will bloom this year. MikeWW x dal to CA.JPG

Both plants show some dalessandroi in them, but the one with two flowers seems to show more dallessandroi parent, more beautiful in color too.
I wonder if Chuck would also ask for a division of the first plant later for breeding?

The hybrid was named Phragmipedium Acker's Blaze in 2017 by Chuck.

I like the color of your flower and your dorsal is better shaped. The NS on mine is a little more than 11 cm. I do not recall the NS on the one that went back to Chuck. I would say that this was a successful cross. Mike

Back