Phrag warscewiczianum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Okay, I was looking for a nice Phrag. warscewiczianum, and on the Orchids Limited site found that it was named popowii. I then found the following on someone's homepage:

"Recently this species was re-described as "Phrag. popowii". Apparently the original type specimen used to describe Phrag. warscewiczianum was in actuality Phrag. wallisii and, under this new naming convention, the phrag currently known as wallisii would now be re-named Phrag. warscewiczianum, and the old warscewiczianum would be named popowii. It remains unclear at this time whether or not these new epithets will be applied to hybrid registration; even if they are the "proper" names, their substitution for two accepted century-old designations would obviously throw a great deal of confusion around the existing grexes and nomenclature."

I've never heard this before, and I'm a bit confused. Can someone shed some light on the issue?

practicallyostensible said:
Thanks for the info. This hobby makes my head hurt sometimes.
We have it easy, you should see the shake-up going on in the Pleurothallis side. See [pleurathallidaliance.com] I think

In Cribbs Kew Monocot list, wallisii is a synynom warscewiczianum. I think we should stop using warscewiczianum or confusion will result.

And popowii is the official name in the Kew Monocot list

I'd like to call it roseum because the name discribes the species, easy to pronounce, but I don't see it used often and its not in his list as a synynom, so it's unacceptable...

Latest posts

Back