Phrag warczewicksianum (wallisii)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick

Reaction score
Not sure if I spelled it right but here's the pics. This would be the first slipper I put into basket culture to bloom that wasn't in bract/spike before going into it. Actually the roots weren't that great when it went into the basket, and the flowering growth is not very big for this clone. But its getting a bunch of new roots, and a few new growths are poking up.

NICE! Have you been watering the baskets everyday? A lot of moss has formed on the top!

Last edited:
Lovely plant, I love long petals. How are you keeping it moist enough in the basket?

I introduced the moss when this plant was still in an air cone pot with a bark or CHC mix. It has grown too since moving over to the basket. I do water the baskets every day.

Thanks for the look and the info. Do you water every morning or after work? I have to water every other day now with my pots before work. If I did it everyday I'd never get a chance to shower! I guess I could go back to once a week on Saturdays whether I need a shower or not!:D Plants first I always say.

Thanks for the look and the info. Do you water every morning or after work? I have to water every other day now with my pots before work. If I did it everyday I'd never get a chance to shower! I guess I could go back to once a week on Saturdays whether I need a shower or not!:D Plants first I always say.

I generally water in the morning before I go to work. On weekends it could be in the afternoon. When I'm out of town my wife probably waters in the morning, but I wouldn't be surprised if my son waters after dark if he gets the job detail.

As long as the humidity is up (and I keep it about 70-90%) the moss does not dry out that much over a couple of days to cause a problem (I have missed some stuff stashed in the corners for a couple days at a time). Often the daily "watering" is pretty superficial. I focus on the mounted stuff, but generally I don't water heavy enough to cause water to run out of the bottom of the baskets.

I guess my morning GH routine takes about 30 minutes and 1 gallon of water to cover 144 sf of collection. The morning time is probably the biggest limiting factor to my addiction.:eek:

Hmm, I bet you could rig something up and get both you and the plants showered in one fell swoop!

Now that's an idea Heather. I'll have to get back to ya on that one!
Rick,
Do you have an over head misting system?

I guess my morning GH routine takes about 30 minutes and 1 gallon of water to cover 144 sf of collection. The morning time is probably the biggest limiting factor to my addiction.:eek:
Interesting. My routine is about the same time but I use 2-3 gallons just misting! Luckily I have help to do it twice a day.

Interesting. My routine is about the same time but I use 2-3 gallons just misting! Luckily I have help to do it twice a day.

Your appartment is probably not at 70-90% humidity. I have lots of condensation on things starting my morning off, and it doesn't take that much water to cover the plants (it used to before I boosted humidity up).

Also on warm sunny days, I have a fogger that kicks in to control excess temp and low humidity conditions. It's not "watering or misting" but definitly stretches out that 1 gal I spread around on the plants on the warmer days.

Back